Music teachers share their thoughts about sectionals

The clock ticks 2:37 p.m. A high-pitched tone echoes through locker-lined hallways: one…two…three…four times. Instantly, a buzz fills the air as students rush out the metal- framed doors and into the steady stream of cars that flow out of the Homestead parking lot.

A small group of friends walks through the light that shone through the metal-framed doors, but this group does not turn to leave. Rather, they venture past a large, brick ticket booth to their right and down a long, descending ramp. As this ramp tapers into level ground, the students enter a series of hallways shaped like the big dipper. Now, whether music stars or beginner students, the individuals filter into their appropriate high-ceilinged music room for sectionals.

Some turn to the right, entering Mr. Todd Spindler’s band room. For band students, after-school or flextime sectionals are mandatory about every two weeks, and they rotate between specific instruments of the Concert and Symphonic bands. “It’s really hard to get there because after school you have a lot going on,” Lane Starrett, senior and Color Guard captain, said. On the other hand, Starrett believes, “It really helps to understand the music more and gets us to know our teachers so [we] can play everything better and get a better understanding for what [we’re] doing.”

Similarly, a left turn at the end of the hallway followed by a right turn would lead to the orchestra room. However, Mr. John Emanuelson, Homestead’s orchestra director since 2001, plans his sectionals a little differently. Mandatory orchestra sectionals occur from 2:45 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.; they are neither during lunch nor during flextime. “The purpose of sectionals is to be able to use class time more efficiently…I can answer individual students’ questions to deal with individual sections’ needs and make in-class rehearsal more interesting for everybody,” Mr. Emanuelson said.

Unlike band, orchestra sectionals are held about once each month for each section of the three orchestras. Perfect attendance at sectionals through the year is rewarded. In fact, seniors in orchestra who retain perfect attendance at sectionals get their names engraved on the Teddy Thompson (Class of ’06) plaque, which hangs in the orchestra room. “We find ways to make it sort of fun, and kids are very motivated, especially if they’ve never missed one that senior year,” Mr. Emanuelson said.

Those who orbit the music halls would find the choir room, tucked away, past the orchestra room. Though Ms. Rebecca Winnie’s choir room may seem hidden, her students certainly are not. They are required to attend at least one sectional practice each week, with two to three options that vary between lunches, flex time, and after school. Unlike the instrumental music classes, choir sectionals also vary in the sections that attend; they may contain individual sections, or combinations of sections.

“I feel like it’s not too much time to ask, especially since you can make up sectionals if you get behind, and it’s extra credit too. If you do more, you can improve your grade,” Michaela Rusch, senior, said. Rusch has been involved in all three of Homestead’s school choirs as well as Camerata, Homestead’s extra-curricular choir.

Maggie Collins, senior, has also been involved in all of Homestead’s choirs. “I think for classes in the fine arts… sometimes you have to spend that extra time to make it work,” Collins said.

Though all three classes within the music department will continue to be on the same page about having sectionals, the scope of these assignments will continue to sound differing tunes.

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 12.35.54 PM
Ms. Rebecca Winnie, choir director, teaches the Tartan Choir. Homestead Choirs have been working on their pieces for the upcoming concert on Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2014. “It’s a very important part of what we do,” Ms. Winnie said of choir sectionals.
Mr. John Emanuelson, orchestra director, teaches the Chamber Orchestra.  The orchestra department has not yet had a sectional.  “It’s like a stool with three legs, [class rehearsal, home practice, and sectionals], and I feel like it’s one of those legs,” Mr. Emanuelson said of orchestra sectionals.
Mr. John Emanuelson, orchestra director, teaches the Chamber Orchestra. The orchestra department has not yet had a sectional. “It’s like a stool with three legs, [class rehearsal, home practice, and sectionals], and I feel like it’s one of those legs,” Mr. Emanuelson said of orchestra sectionals.
Mr. Todd Spindler, band director, teaches a combination of Symphonic and Concert band.  The band, in its marching season, has played for the home football games.  “In marching season you go over the marching outside, like steps,” Lane Starret, Senior, said of band sectionals.
Mr. Todd Spindler, band director, teaches a combination of Symphonic and Concert band. The band, in its marching season, has played for the home football games. “In marching season you go over the marching outside, like steps,” Lane Starret, Senior, said of band sectionals.