Do what you love, love what you do

Migdalia Dybro, the new Spanish teacher points to the Puerto Rican flag, to show where her family is from, and opens up about why she loves about teaching Spanish.

Hannah Halaska

A new day.

A new lesson plan.

A new start.

When asked what it is she loves about Spanish, Ms. Migdalia Dybro, first year Spanish teacher at Homestead, said, “Everyday is different, as a teacher you get to be creative with lesson plans, and then try again the next day.”

The aspect she enjoys most is “It allows teachers to use creativity and variety.”

If you started Spanish 1 this year, you know might know Migdalia Dybro, and chances are she is trying to get to know you.

“My greatest teaching moment this year is trying to understand the perspective of my students,” Dybro said.

In New York, her home state, she grew up speaking Spanish at home, and English at school. Dybro has learned from childhood to adulthood to never stop working hard.

Her parents, from Puerto Rico, inspire her to do her best.

“My dad always said if you believe whatever your dream was, that’s something you should always try to strive for.”

Her first year at Homestead has taught her a lot about young people who want to learn what she has to offer.

Dybro has taught in different Wisconsin school districts, and met hundreds of students. She wants her students to leave the class gaining life skills, and know the importance  of life skills they can use outside of the classroom.

“I think it’s another skill in their repertoire, in their life, in college they are going to meet people from all over and from all different countries,” Dybro said.

But Dybro doesn’t just teach Spanish for students to fill their World Language credit. “I like working with students because for me teaching is a joy, and I enjoy Spanish, I really love it, but it’s just interacting with young people.”

Her effort to help, and interact with every student shows.

“She just helps you with everything, like if you have a question she’ll be sure to answer it and she helps in that way,” Jamie McCoy, freshman, said.

“I liked how we both were new to something, and got to know each other right off the bat,” Jude Barbiere, sophomore, said.

While Dybro is continuing to make a difference in her students’ lives, they are changing her life as well.