Filed under News, School

New winter formal planned for January

Back to Article
Back to Article

New winter formal planned for January

Students will have another chance to dress up with a winter formal planned for January.

Alexandra Grosso

Alexandra Grosso

Alexandra Grosso

Student Council held a meeting on Dec. 18 to discuss the new winter formal, including finalizing the basic aspects of the dance.

Because “students expressed interest in a winter dance, the student council pitched the idea to administration, and it was well received,” Dawn Pfaff, student council advisor, said.

The dance will take place on Jan. 12, 2019 in the Homestead auxiliary gym, but that may be subject to change. If that is changed, the dance will occur in the main gym.

“I feel like it’s a good opportunity to have dance in the break between homecoming and prom,” Mary Bridget Jones, freshman student council representative, said.

Only Homestead students will be admitted into the dance. A student ID will be required for identification to enter. Tickets to the dance will be sold at the door to those students with a valid ID for $10 each. Early tickets will not be sold.

“As a student…now that I have made new friends and gotten to know people more, a dance will be more fun,” Jones said.

The dance is not a “Sadies Hawkins” dance, or it is not strictly girls-ask-guys format. However, if a girl wanted to ask a boy, that would be just as encouraged as a boy asking a girl.

The dress code for the event will be the same as Homecoming’s, or semi-formal. Anything worn to Homecoming would be appropriate for this one as well. In addition, a winter themed photo booth is being planned, and the same DJ that provided music for homecoming has been secured. The Student Council is finalizing decoration and chaperone details.

I am excited for the dance.  This group of Student Council kids has exceeded all expectations for the events they have planned so far this year,” Pfaff said. “I have high expectations again.”

A formal announcement will be made at some point during this week. Further details will come after winter break on more specific details as well.

Alexandra Grosso, Staffer

Alexandra Grosso, a current freshman at Homestead High School, is thrilled at the opportunity to pursue her writing through this program. Besides...