Latin students attend annual Latin Convention

Jake+Brink%2C+senior%2C+assigns+spirit+locations+for+delegations+in+his+role+as+WJCL+2nd+Vice+President.+

Shir Bloch

Jake Brink, senior, assigns spirit locations for delegations in his role as WJCL 2nd Vice President.

Homestead Latin students competed at the 61st Annual Wisconsin Junior Classical League (WJCL) Convention held at the Park Hotel in Madison from Jan. 31 – Feb. 2. Comprising of 39 out of the 413 students at the convention, the Homestead delegation brought home second place overall in both spirit and points.

The WJCL is an organization dedicated to the preservation of and education about the classics, including the history, cultures, mythologies, and languages of the ancient civilizations of Greece and Rome. Latin Convention allows students to show their true passion around these topics by participating in games and activities such as costume contests, Certamen (a classics trivia competition), memorized and impromptu oratory, prepared and impromptu art, testing, running for office, and more. Students are able to make new friends through shared interests.

“I go to Latin Convention because it’s really geeky but actually super fun!” Jake Brink, senior, said.

Erik Sutton, senior, attends for the community aspect. “State Convention is a place where everyone is accepted for who they are and you always feel welcome. I think that acceptance is what draws people in and keeps them coming back,” Sutton said.

One Homestead senior, Shir Bloch, just finished her second term as president of the WJCL. In this position, Bloch was in charge of all the planning and organization of the convention, as well as of ensuring everything went smoothly. “For the past four years, the WJCL has been my life,” Bloch said.

As an officer at the convention for the past two years, she and other student officers from schools across Wisconsin planned convention and judged events such as spirit competitions and design contests. As a senior this year, Bloch completed her final term in office at this convention.

“Now that I’m no longer an officer, I’m not entirely sure what to do with myself,” Bloch said.

Homestead’s Latin program allows students to go beyond the language and delve into Roman roots and culture, making students yearn for more and return each winter.