Filed under News, School

Fighting for more than a win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fighting for more than a win

Andrew Brooks, senior, prepares to go out on the field during the first lacrosse game of the season.

Ubiquitous in nature, cancer affects 440 every 100,000 people in the United States, shockingly staggering statistics. It is therefore unsurprising that it has hit close to home, and, therefore, close to Homestead. In order to express their solidarity with the fight against cancer, the Homestead boys varsity lacrosse team has decided to fundraise throughout the season.

“The boys all want to give back to cancer research, and the season is dedicated to those who are no longer with us,” Coach Mike LaValle said.

For every goal scored, the scoring player donates $10 to a ‘pot’ of money. Assisting players donate $5. At the first game alone, the boys raised $105. At the end of the season, the team will donate the money to different cancer charities.

Andrew Brooks, senior, lost his father to cancer during his freshman year of high school. Andy Brooks had served as a role model for countless young boys. “Andrew’s best friend, Garrett Wilson, is wearing Andrew’s father’s number, number 39. Andrew’s dad, Andy Brooks, was Garrett’s coach in football, taught him a lot about being a player, being a teammate, and Garrett wanted to honor Andrew’s father by wearing that number,” LaValle said.

The players realize that they can make lacrosse much more than just a game. Even though the first game was not one of their three cancer games, they still decided to raise money. “We play for something bigger than ourselves. I’m happy we are able to help out a great cause at the same time,” Brooks said.

Will Condon, senior, also voiced what the season means to him. “Though the season is important, we realize that it means more than just the sport. It’s about how we can make a difference in the community around us with our fight against cancer,” Condon said.

Looking ahead at the rest of the season, the players know that staying healthy, fit, and strong will be their toughest challenge. “We have to focus on taking care of ourselves and making sure we’re all healthy and doing everything to protect each other,” LaValle said.

“Our team definitely has a ton of potential. We’ve shown bursts of excellence. Once we put it all together, I think we can go very far,” Brooks said.

Although the players will need dedication and strength throughout the season, Coach LaValle expressed his pride in the boys for a strong start to the season. “We love the cohesiveness of this team, the chemistry, they’re excitable, and they’re all playing for each other. You can’t ask for anything more coming out of the gate on the first day,” LaValle said.

Shir Bloch, Staffer

Shir Bloch, a senior at Homestead, is passionate about writing and wants to explore her abilities through this class. Born in Israel, she used her passion...