Teacher Appreciation Week

Although Teacher Appreciation week is nationally acknowledged the week of May 6, Homestead celebrates the week of May 20 after AP exams. During National Teacher Appreciation week this year, the district gave teachers and staff small trees to say thank you with hopes they will “plant a seed and watch it grow like they watch their students grow,” according to Nancy Kress, principal’s secretary at Homestead.

To honor teachers starting May 20, all of Homestead’s staff will have their name put in a gift card drawing and have a special lunch sponsored by the PTSO (Parent Teacher Student Organization). This year once again, “the PTSO will provide lunch on Thursday for all staff, and gift cards to be drawn out of a basket,” Wendy Kennedy, from PTSO said. The staff included are teachers, paraprofessionals, secretaries, hall monitors and members of the technology department.  About 7-8 names are drawn a day and called over the loudspeaker. Whoever comes to the office to claim their gift card first gets first dibs.

This week is an important time to acknowledge all of the hard work that the MTSD staff provides. “We are very thankful for all of our staff,” Principal Brett Bowers said.

“It’s always an honor to be recognized by peers and students for all that goes on in the classroom,” economics teacher Thomas Fugate, said.

Check out Rachel Starsky’s Steller to see what important lessons students have learned from their teachers:

https://steller.co/s/9UXkttTXuw3