Merit Award winners are recognized at ceremony

Allison Yang

Maddie Ludwig, freshman, receives the Merit Award.

The annual Merit Award ceremony was held on May 23 in the Homestead cafeteria to commemorate the students who participated in the 2018-19 Merit Award. In order to qualify to receive this award, students had to show their dedication to both the community and the school throughout the past year.

There are several qualifications that applicants must meet in order to receive this award. These qualifications include at least ten hours of community service, participation in school activities and events as well as membership to a sport or club. Additionally, students that are applying need to get certification from two teachers saying that they display a positive attitude in class.

Applicants will also have to explain some wellness activities that they participated in on their own time. There are many ways for students to get community service hours throughout the year including volunteering to help at local events such as Gathering on the Green or the Turkey Trot.

If the applicants completed all the requirements, then their applications would be considered and the student would be invited to the ceremony. “The ceremony was a great experience because it was a wonderful display of what the students at Homestead bring to the table,” AJ Schultz, sophomore, said.

There are also many volunteer opportunities available in the MTSD school district such as working concessions at a Homestead sporting event or running a game at an elementary school carnival.

Despite the work associated with receiving the Merit Award, many students find that in the end, it is all worth it, and not only because they received the award. It can be a great way for students to give back to the community, all while making friends and getting to know their peers.

“I just loved the fact that this was something I could do, even as a freshman in highschool, to help my community while hanging out with friends,” Elaina Debord, freshman, said.