Search for a new high school principal progresses

Taylor Raskin

The search for a new principal to carry on the mission of Homestead has begun.

As the 2020-2021 school year approaches, Homestead is deep into its search for a new principal to lead the high school. Former Homestead assistant principal Eric Ebert stepped in as Interim Principal for the 2019-2020 school year after Principal Brett Bowers resigned in July.

Through surveys and focus groups of teachers and parents, district officials created a Leadership Profile to find an ideal principal to fit the Mequon Thiensville School District’s needs. The new principal must possess the leadership qualities of “trust, mutual respect, health, professional relationships, and communications.”

Additionally, Homestead is in search of a leader who creates “a more inclusive and responsive experience for all students” in order to ensure a successful school community. Accountability, passion, and approachability are among the other desired qualities.

According to an email sent to Homestead staff from Sarah Zelazoski, executive director of human capital, on Dec. 17, 2019, “the deadline for applications [was] Jan. 17, 2020.” Both internal staff members and external candidates were welcome to apply for the opening.

Homestead received about 25-30 applicants; Superintendent Matthew Joynt and Assistant Superintendent Jeridon Clark will work to select the top 5-8 candidates. “These candidates will be invited to participate in interviews with Homestead staff members, students and administrators,” Zelazoski said.

An email sent to staff by Zelazoski on Jan. 17 states that the Homestead team plans to conduct interviews as soon as Jan. 29. Interested members of the Homestead staff are welcome to participate in the interview process. “Each interview participant will have the opportunity to share feedback about each of the candidates. The feedback will be reviewed by myself, the assistant superintendent and the superintendent. Our recommendation for the next principal will be presented to the Board of Education,” Zelazoski said.

The Board of Education will announce the new principal in early February. Although adjusting to change is always a challenge, Zelazoski is confident that the new principal will fit into the school community and continue to enhance the experience of students and staff at Homestead.

“In a strong school culture like the one at Homestead, students, staff and families will all be involved in helping to make the new principal feel welcome and understand the school, it’s strengths and challenges. The same steps allow the school community to get to know the new leader and form the foundation for meaningful relationships and progress,” Zelazoski said.