Temporary school closure starts tomorrow for Homestead High School

Submitted photo

Homestead High School will now follow scenario C from the Responsible Return Operating Plan.

On Mon. Oct. 26 Mequon-Thiensville School District (MTSD) released an announcement stating that all students at Homestead High School will begin distance learning starting Tues. Oct. 27 until at least Mon. Nov. 2. This decision solely affects Homestead High School and no other schools in MTSD.

Using their COVID-19 Monitoring System Dashboard, MTSD tracks the burden of COVID-19 cases in 53092 and 53097 zip codes as well as the number of students and staff absent as a result of COVID-19. This new dashboard was released to the public on Oct. 21 after using the Washington-Ozaukee Public Health Department for the first few months of school. The updated dashboard tracks the overall burden for the two zip codes, case numbers in the district, COVID-19 related closures, and percent of availability at each school for students and staff.

Over the weekend, Homestead received information that at least 10 of its students had tested positive for COVID-19. While the dashboard was last updated on Oct. 23, MTSD explained to families that the Washington-Ozaukee Public Health Department has delayed their notification of COVID-19 positive cases, hindering MTSD’s ability to have accurate data. In an email sent to parents, Superintendent Dr. Matthew Joynt said, “Based on the increased number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 at Homestead High School and a lack of accurate health data from our local health department, we believe the safest path forward is to temporarily transition all on-campus learners at Homestead High School to distance learning.” This puts Homestead High School in Scenario D from the Responsible Return Plan.

This switch to online learning aims to keep not only Homestead students and staff safe, but the entire community of Mequon and Thiensville. “The health, safety, and wellbeing of students and staff members remain our highest priority as we navigate this public health crisis. As a District, we continue to follow sound protocols aligned with guidance and support from local health officials to ensure we are doing everything we can to protect the health of our students and staff members,” Joynt said.

As Homestead students move to virtual learning during the temporary school closure, all extracurricular activities and sports will also be put on hold. Teachers will continue to teach virtually from their classrooms.

** Update to story: As per an email sent to families on Oct. 27, virtual learning in Scenario D will be extended until Nov. 9 based on excess numbers of cases and close contacts.