School nurses step up during pandemic

Lucy Gonzalez

The Wellness Center is located in the counseling hallway, ready to assist students.

Kira Testin, school nurse, and Jessica Jost, district nurse, are typically the faces hidden behind the scenes — that is until the world is thrown into a pandemic.

Testin specifically responds to the needs of students by caring, informing and responding to the day-to-day needs in the Student Wellness Center. Before becoming a nurse, Testin, Class of ‘94, originally set out to be a teacher upon
graduation, but two years into college she switched her major to nursing. Despite her plan to be a teacher, her desire to be a nurse “was always something of interest, ever since I was a kid,” Testin said.

As she switched colleges from Winona State University to Marquette University, she switched her major, allowing her to pursue her love for “science and medical related fields,” furthering her career and path to becoming a nurse.

Many do not know what or where the Wellness Center is or even who Homestead’s nurses are, but part-time nurse Testin has made a point to reach out especially during COVID-19 communication protocols to let the students know of where and who she is — in the counseling hallway.

“Interacting with students new or previous, is my favorite part about my job,” Testin said.

Bella Magee and Reilly West, seniors, have visited Nurse Testin in the Wellness Center after feeling ill or needing help regarding COVID-19 protocols.

“She made me feel cared for and comfortable at a time of vulnerability,” Magee said.

“Mrs. Testin made me feel so welcomed and made sure I was doing okay, I could not have asked for a better experience,” West said.

Above anything else, Testin intends to have an impact on students.

Testin’s path as a nurse is “much more than just a job but a home that [she] intend[s] to make a difference in,” she said.