Classes teach students real-world skills

Colleen Klocko

Some of the classes that teach real world skills are Keyboarding, Outdoor Adventure, Wellness, and world languages.

Classes teaching real-world skills can be overlooked while students search for English, math, science and social studies classes to take.

Developing real-world skills prepares students for life beyond high school in academic, social and professional settings. Offering classes in the business, physical education and health departments, Homestead has many options for students seeking to get ahead in their future.

Keyboarding/ Formatting
○ one trimester, grades 9-12
Available for all grades, Keyboarding develops a student’s ability to type without
looking at the keys. Other skills include formatting letters, reports, tables and learning
aspects of Microsoft Word. Margaret Sabin, business teacher of 17 years, said, “it’s important to be able to
get your thoughts into the computer as fast as you are thinking them. This is essential to success, not only in school, but in your jobs. Whatever career you choose, it will be essential to be able to navigate on the computer.”

Employability Skills
○ one trimester, grades 9-12
Employability Skills gets students prepared for finding and getting a job. Starting off with self assessment, students will take personality tests to explore their interests and values. After, students dive into career exploration to research jobs they are interested in and paths to get there. This course also teaches personal finance, including taxes and budgeting, as well as dealing with student loans. Resumes, cover letters, learning about the interviewing process and mock interviews prepare students for future employment.

Financial Management and Decision Making
○ one trimester, grades 9-12
Financial Management outlines how to manage, save, spend and grow money. This class teaches short term and long term budgeting, the advantages and disadvantages of credit cards, buying versus leasing cars, housing decision making,
taxes and retirement planning. Informing students with these topics helps spark lifelong habits of financial
responsibility.

Personal Finance (honors, dual credit)
○ three college credits awarded, one trimester, grades 11-12
Honors Personal Finance is a class offered that teaches similar subjects to financial management, but at an honors level. It is a Cooperative Academic Partnership Program (CAPP) class through UW OshKosh that gives students three
college credits upon completion of the course. These credits are transferable to most public and private schools, both in and out of state. With a focus of personal financial planning, this class goes deeper into
preparing students for future financial decision making.

Outdoor Adventure
○ one trimester, grades 10-12, fee of $65
Perfect for outdoor lovers, students who take Outdoor Adventure will learn about and practice hiking, climbing, camping, fishing, navigating with a map, biking and kayaking. John Krueger, physical education teacher of 21 years, said, “planning ahead and preparing is the number one thing we emphasize when we talk about all the skills we
do.” He also explained how students learn to have trust in one another and build team working skills while taking this course.

Wellness (dual credit)
○ one college credit awarded, one trimester, grades 10-12
Wellness has units in self defense, fitness and first aid/ AED/ CPR training. Students will not only be certified in CPR at the end of this course, but they’ll also have one transferable college credit.

World Language
○ Spanish, French, Latin, Chinese, two trimesters, grades 9-12
According to the 2021-2022 Course Guide, four foreign languages are offered that focus on students developing the capabilities to listen, speak, read and write in the language. This prepares students to interact with people speaking different languages while traveling, in their jobs and in everyday life. Partnership Program (CAPP) class through UW OshKosh that gives students three college credits upon completion of the course. These credits are transferable to most public and private schools, both in and out of state. With a focus of personal financial planning, this class goes deeper into preparing students for future financial decision making.

Youth Apprentice
○ one year or two year options, grades 11-12
The Ozaukee Youth Apprentice Program allows students to work with a local company, in which they gain experience and practice skills relevant to their job while earning high school credit. According to the Course Guide, there are youth apprentice positions in the following subjects:Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Architecture & Construction Art, A/V Technology & Communications, Finance, Health Science, Hospitality & Tourism, Information Technology, Manufacturing Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM), Transportation, Distribution & Logistics. Homestead students have opportunities to prepare themselves for their personal and professional future through classes offered in high school. Sabin summed up her view on high school courses when she said,”there’s definitely a lot of life learning to be done during these years.”