Seniors prepare for final spring sports season

Logan+Kluck%2C+Cullen+Boyle%2C+and+Adam+Dolan%2C+seniors%2C+race+for+the+finish+line.+

Nora Raasch

Logan Kluck, Cullen Boyle, and Adam Dolan, seniors, race for the finish line.

The weather isn’t the only thing that’s heating up. Spring sports are starting. From golf to lacrosse, tennis to softball, seniors are preparing for their very last season wearing a Highlander uniform. But before they can retire their jerseys, seniors must rally their teams to bring the heat for the last time in their high school years.

Bella Magee, senior, reports that things are looking good for the girls varsity softball team.

“This season, we plan on working harder, committing to the game more and learning a balance between confidence and relaxation,” Magee explained. She has high hopes for taking the regional champion title for the second year in a row. “We know we can put up a good fight against anyone, evident from our regional championship last season, so we just plan on keeping our streak alive,” Magee said.

But softball is not the only bat and ball sport in full swing this spring. The baseball team’s season begins with an away game April 4 against Kettle Moraine.

Steven Yang, senior, says the team has been training hard this preseason, with “open gyms… working to get better.” Yang has been playing baseball since he was five, and this will be his final season with his best friends.

“I’m optimistic about our chances this year, and I think we will definitely surprise people this season,” Yang said.

Instead of running from base to base, other students are ready to run circles around other teams on the track. Track and field has been putting in extensive effort since winter to train for their upcoming season, and they couldn’t be more ready.

Alyssa Fitzsimmons, senior, expresses her extensive excitement for her fourth season on the team, commenting that what she is most excited for is “running when the weather gets warm and meeting all the new athletes.”

The boys track team also has a promising season ahead. Last year, the team won the conference championship title and sent five athletes to compete in the WIAA state championship.

This year, Kyle Knutson, senior, reports that the team is even stronger, with many returning athletes coming from previous successful sports seasons.

“Many people on the track team are either from football or cross country where both teams got runner up in their state championships earlier in the season. This team definitely has the talent to win,” Knutson said.

The girls varsity soccer team is most excited for their large turnout at soccer tryouts in two weeks.

Emily Grant, senior, reports that 10 freshmen are expected to try out for the varsity team, bringing some fresh talent to the girls’ team. Grant states that she has loved all of her seasons on the team throughout high school, but is most excited about this year’s season because it’s her senior year.

“I’m most excited for being a senior leader on the team and helping the new members of our team feel comfortable and excited for the season,” Grant said.

Just like Grant, Ian Patch, senior on the boys varsity tennis team, looks forward to his fourth season on the team. Patch describes the feeling of being a senior as exciting.

“Last year, there was an initial lack of feeling like a team, but this year, I feel like the team is going to be closer than ever!” Patch said.

Another senior excited for her leadership role in the upcoming season is Mackenzie Lawless, girls varsity lacrosse player. While Lawless describes the sad feeling she has before her final season at Homestead, she also states her plans as an upperclassman to make this season the best yet.

“To become a better team we are going to focus more on team bonding and team activities outside of practice to build our chemistry on the field,” Lawless said.

In any sport, leadership is key, and Lawless has it down to a T. Speaking of tee, the boys’ varsity golf season is underway. Before his last season playing Homestead golf, Joe Fricker, senior captain, states his goals and expectations on how to follow such an incredible season that last year was for the team.

“I’m hoping this season can be just as successful as finishing second place in state last year and we have a lot of talent to take first this year for my last season,” Fricker said.

Fricker was a major contributor to the high placement in state last year from his hole-in-one, so hopes are high to see his success in the upcoming season.

Another successful senior is JJ Perez, the boys’ varsity lacrosse captain. Perez recently received the honor of being first team all conference for varsity hockey and expects to be just as successful in his upcoming lacrosse season. When asked what he looks forward to most in his final season of lacrosse, Perez lights up.

“I am most excited to be able to lead as an example for the large group of younger classmen on the team like the previous captains did for me” he said. The varsity lacrosse team has a large addition of underclassmen this year who are excited to learn from the upperclassman and contribute their talents to the team.

From baseball, to track, to soccer, senior athletes are ready to hit it out of the park. While most athletes’ sporting careers are coming to an inevitable end, the spring senior athletes are excited to take full advantage of the final season they have left.