A sneak peek of the study centers

Nicole Zhuk

Tess Ahrenhoerster, junior, Elizabeth Noorlander, study center aid, Steven Ho, senior and Charlie Dix, senior, work in a study center.

The culture of study centers is changing; They have always been academic spaces; now, they are designed to be structured as full-support classrooms, helping students improve in their academic subjects.

There are three study centers located around the school. Sally McComis is in room 909/911, Elizabeth Noorlander is in room 2015 and David Shephard is in Inquiry Zone 1. There is also a study center headquarters in room 511 with the department head, Tony Navarre.
One of the new programs Navarre has implemented is the focus sessions.

Focus sessions are held before and after school in room 2015. They are a place for students to have the opportunity to connect and complete work with teachers, staff, and fellow students. The school has the national honors society students and teaching staff available to help with work completion, studying, and working on any late and missing work. This is to give students additional options to get support and complete work.

Navarre said, “Multiple students have benefitted from the one on one time with peer mentors through NHS and having the ability to organize and get missing work completed.” Navarre stated for further changes for next year, “We are looking to potentially add a lunch session. The hope is that we will be able to increase attendance for students who want to get things done, need help, or just want an extra academic space.”

The study center teachers are happy with the changes and excited to help improve the environments for their students. Noorlander said, “I really love the changes to the Study Centers. Mr. Navarre has expanded the program in ways that have helped change the perceived culture of what a study center is and can be. Having the ability to collaborate with teachers, administrators and counselors to best support all of you is really a dream job.”

McComis is also just as thrilled about the changes and the benefits she sees for students. “I really appreciate the new approach to the study centers. It is more purposeful, and there is a greater opportunity for students to receive the support they need to succeed. There is so much more communication amongst staff members with the new structure, and we are able to come alongside students from a more comprehensive perspective. I especially appreciate seeing students working with others, learning from each other, and encouraging each other,” McComis said.

Both Noorlander and McComis only want to benefit students by welcoming them to a space that allows for support in all areas of a student’s life. “I hope that I improve the environment by offering a space that is welcoming, challenging, and open to collaboration and communication. I want all of you to know that you can come to me about anything. Honestly, being with my students is a blast. I love the time we get together. Every one of you has taught me something new, challenged me and made me a better person,” Noorlander said
McComis also believes it is important to help students achieve their academic goals and “help to prepare them for valuing themselves and others beyond grades received. Being respectful, responsible, exhibiting follow through, having manners, being sensitive and kind to others, along with learning to advocate for oneself…are very crucial life skills and will hopefully help each student to launch into adulthood on solid footing!”