From teachers to trailblazers

Teachers explain their upcoming marathon endeavors
Band teacher, Charlie O’Brien, after completing the Boston Marathon. Submitted by Charlie O’Brien

Running is a lifelong skill that exudes the most from its participants – runners need to master breathing, stamina and time management in order to reap the most out of each run. Every mile is a steppingstone in a progression of efforts to be better and run faster.

Orchestra teacher John Emanuelson is an experienced runner – completing 25 marathons already and continuing his running journey. His experiences curate an atmosphere that he finds running most comfortable.

“I started running in eighth grade with a group of friends who had a running dad and joined middle school cross country and stuck with it through high school (I was always on JV). I pretty much stopped running in college and in my twenties until I turned thirty and picked it up again. Running is a great way to practice self-discipline and long-term goal setting and achieving. If you want to run a marathon, or run faster in a shorter distance, or just stay in shape, this isn’t a ‘quick goal’ – it will take focus over a period of weeks or months. But sticking with the plan will result in improvement and achieving your goals (if they are realistic). I always enjoy experiencing this lesson,” Emanuelson said.

Other aspects Emanuelson enjoys include the scenery and personal growth he endures after completing a goal.

“My favorite of my 25 marathons was running the original race from Marathon, Greece, to Athens where the finish line was the original 1986 Olympic stadium. It was also the 2500th anniversary of the actual Battle of Marathon that inspired the first ‘racer’ way back in the day and then caused this event to be created for the first Olympics. This was in 2010 – it was wild! I am also proud of my 518 day consecutive running streak during the pandemic. I ran through two winters and all the days in between, averaging six miles a day,” Emanuelson said.

Unlike Emanuelson, Band teacher Charlie O’Brien is considerably new to running, but that doesn’t impede on his drive to run often and improve his already impressive game.

“I started running in the spring of 2020 as a way to prepare for a long-distance backpacking trip to California. Running served as my training for hiking in higher elevations. After the trip, I decided to continue running because it brought me joy. Prior to 2020, I had never run in my entire life, so I still consider myself new to the sport. Running has evolved into a big part of my identity, helping me towards becoming the best version of myself,” O’Brien said.

With exuberance, he continues to take part in marathons, most notably, the Boston and London marathons.

“My favorite marathon I’ve run is the Boston Marathon, with Chicago being a very close second. The Bostin marathon holds a significant history and prestige, and was my second marathon, motivating me to reach the next level in my running journey. The course is challenging, and the energy surrounding Boston makes the entire experience one I’ll never forget. I’m currently training for the London Marathon which takes place April 21. This will be my second international marathon this school year, with Berlin taking place in September, and I’m grateful for another opportunity to participate in another world major marathon. I was initially training for my third Boston Marathon but withdrew after being accepted into the London Marathon. Since the races are only a week apart, I want to focus all of my attention on London,” O’Brien said.

Although Psychology teacher Melissa Blahnik is not currently training for anything, she, too, is an experienced runner with numerous marathons under her belt and memories attached to each mile.

“I developed a love for running at a young age. My siblings are ten and thirteen years older than me, and I would often attend their track and cross-country events to cheer them on. I would often run with them from my parents’ house to Lake Michigan. It always felt like a prize being able to see the beautiful water at the half-way point in the run. I still feel nostalgic when running along the lake or near a body of water. Most of the routes I take today still include the river at some point,” Blahnik said.

Like O’Brien, she too has run the Chicago Marathon and finds sentiment in its experience. Lacing up and blazing trails she sees as more empowering for her and others more than anything else.

“For many, all you need to do is lace up your shoes and head out the door to get started. The physical and mental benefits can do wonders for us. In my experience, when I feel physically strong, I feel mentally strong. My favorite event has been completing the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon a few years ago (2019). My brother and I ran it together, and during our training we raised over 2,000 for the Fisher House of Wisconsin in honor of our father (a Vietnam War veteran) who passed away earlier that year. Accomplishing the marathon and fundraising goals with my sibling was a powerful feeling. The whole process of training is something that I enjoy. I am grateful for my ability to run and plan to continue as long as I am physically able,” Blahnik said.