Field house concerts return after a three-year hiatus

Mackenzie Miller
The three choirs, Treble, Tartan and Highlander, sing ‘We Know the Way” from ‘Moana’ at the Field House Concert.

After months of preparation, hundreds of musicians gather in the field house to perform, greeted by lively elementary schoolers. The bands, orchestras and choirs sit in anticipation for their first concert to start.

“One of my favorite parts of the field house concert is getting to see all the elementary schoolers grow excited over music. This concert is their first real exposure to what live music can sound like,” Brandon Day, junior and bass in Tartan Choir, said.

Each of the three groups played various songs to show off what it is like to be in music at Homestead. The songs also aimed to entertain the elementary and middle schoolers. Some of these songs were from Disney movies, “The Greatest Showman,” as well as more classical songs to get an all-encompassing repertoire.

“My favorite was ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ because it is the most fun to play and the kids loved it,” Chase LaLonde, senior and cello player, said.

Due to COVID-19, the concerts stopped for three years. Brining this concert back to the district was a long battle. After asking for two years if the concert was returning, the news that it was happening was a relief for many.

“I was ecstatic. It felt surreal to know that something I wanted to do for so long was actually gonna happen,” Day said.

Many of the high school musicians grew up attending these concerts annually. The fond memories that accompany going to the concert made performing in the concert that much better for them.

“I remember the excitement of getting to leave for a field trip all day. Now getting to perform in it, it was definitely an experience as a senior just thinking that it was once me up in those bleachers,” LaLonde said.

Apart from entertaining the elementary and middle schoolers, the music department aims to show them just how exciting music can be and encourage them to join when they reach high school. This includes teaching them about the different programs, as well as specific instruments and groups they can be a part of.

“Having been involved in music in elementary school I remember feeling excited to become the older musicians, and I hope we inspired them to keep music in their lives,” Sophie Gerew, senior and flute player, said.

The final goal of the concert is to bring all the music groups together. The three groups rarely perform together, and this concert is an opportunity for their music to come together as one.

“It is definitely more difficult to perform with all three groups, but it is so much more of a rewarding experience. Combining all three of these groups allows the music to really come to life,” LaLonde said.

“My favorite song to perform was ‘Oklahoma!’ because it was really fun to bring the band, choir and orchestra together, which is such a rare experience,” Gerew said.