Black Student Union hosts Black History Month Showcase

Anaya Adams
The theatrical dance class prepares their performance for the Black History Month showcase.

On Saturday, Feb. 17 at 6:15 p.m., the first-ever Black History Month Showcase happened in the James Barr Auditorium. When in 2023, the showcase was canceled in 2023 because of weather the occurrence stimulated the Black Student Union (BSU) to ensure the program would not only happen, but be a success in 2024. The BSU meetings every Wednesday during both lunches strive to not only have fun gatherings, but to plan multiple activities, one being the Black History Month showcase.

“Striving to increase the number of events,” Karissa Bonds, senior, has played a role in planning the showcase and getting students excited by encouraging students to participate in the showcase spirit week. Monday to Friday students supported the showcase by following the theme and creating a showcase experience. Along with Bonds, many other BSU members were involved in participating in the showcase to make it something enjoyable for the audience.
There was dancing, singing, poems, and other creative outlets being shown on the stage. Even some alumni returned to be a part of the show. Student participation shined through as the production, decorations and even food made to sell were run completely by students with adults around for supervision.

The theatrical dance class worked every day to perform for the showcase as well. The collection of The collection of music and style of dance is something that they were excited to show the audience. People both old and young followed along to the songs and got into the spirit of celebration. The mix of African, r&b, hip-hop and other styles were showcased in a way to connect to the audience.

The audience feedback after every performance was undoubtedly positive. The audience shouted, cheered, clapped, and smiled proudly from the beginning to end. The PAC lobby was packed with excitement as friends, family, and even teachers awaited to give congratulations to someone they knew. Playing music and laughing while taking down decorations, cleaning up and making sure everyone got home safe, the BSU shared an everlasting memory of creating the first ever Black History Month Showcase.