Girls indoor track season sets standards high for the team

Racers+%28from+top+left%29+Eva+Brandenburg%2C+senior%2C+and+juniors+Grace+Zortman%2C+Charlotte+Lueck+and+Shaylin+Swenson+smile+after+placing+first+in+the+4x400+relay.+
HHS Athletics
Racers (from top left) Eva Brandenburg, senior, and juniors Grace Zortman, Charlotte Lueck and Shaylin Swenson smile after placing first in the 4×400 relay.

Skill, repetition and technique are the things that make a difficult task look easy. Whether it be championship titles, records broken or event wins, girls track teammates dance a line of constant improvement and embellished talent that make them two-year Division 1 leaders.
As the indoor season drew to a close this past week, team leaders embraced wins while keeping in mind the effort needed to improve. The team finished strong with new records: Triple Jump by Anisa Barnett, junior, and the 4×400 Relay by racers Eva Brandenburg, senior, and juniors Charlotte Lueck, Grace Zortman and Shaylin Swenson.
Swenson and her relay’s effort is just a stepping stone into the next half of the track season. For her, team collaboration is the basis of success.
“We constantly are pushing each other to become the best runners we can be, and working hard, while also having so much fun. Our bond is so special which truly makes our team so much better,” Swenson said.
Like Swenson, Meredith Niedfeldt, junior, also enjoys the team aspect. Niedfeldt is one of many long-distance runners on the team, where mental courage is just as important as physical capability.
“One thing I really love about the team this year is how we all work together and cheer each other on, no matter if we’re running or in field events,” Niedfelt said.
While Eva Brandenburg, senior, who also broke the 4×400 relay record, values time with her team, she also knows tireless effort put into practice improves the extent of a runner’s abilities. As a senior who plans on running in college, no moment on the track is taken for granted.
“I want to improve upon my events and times by working hard with my teammates to make that happen throughout the season. I am really most proud of just getting through indoor season successfully and without any injuries. I hope to continue to compete with the same energy and intensity before the season comes to an end,” Brandenburg said.