Softball seniors prepare to leave program

Mickey Andrews
Seniors Livvy Boehlke, Sophia Otto, Maddy Konya, Sadie Ferguson and Jenna Burd, stand together post game at Whitefish Bay.

For all the seniors on the varsity softball team, their journey playing started when they were in kindergarten. They first picked up a softball in the warm months of spring and summer. Their experience began when the bat they used was almost as big as them, when the dirt on the field was used to make sand castles and when being in the outfield was the perfect time to pick dandelions.

For Sophia Otto, senior captain, specifically she started softball as a way to connect with her older sister. “Softball has been something that we share together and that we bond over,” Otto said.

Jenna Burd, senior captain, participated in Rec Department day camps held by the Homestead softball program during her years in elementary school where she learned and kept developing the skills she uses even now on the team.

Fast forward years later to 2021 when Livvy Boehlke, Burd, Sadie Ferguson, Maddy Konya and Otto, seniors, all began playing softball for Homestead. They started in the program the year of COVID, but were able to make lasting memories no matter what. “My favorite memory on the Homestead softball team was when I got pulled up with a few of my teammates to Varsity for their regional game and we won,” Boehlke, senior captain, shared.

As the girls continued to grow throughout the program, they made lasting memories with current and past players. Otto’s sophomore year was bittersweet. She played on the same team as her older sister, but that year would be her sister’s last in the program. “My favorite memory on the team was being able to play with my sister my sophomore year and be able to be on the bench watching her play her last few games as a senior,” Otto said.

“My favorite memory is when our bus stopped at an ice cream shop after winning the regional game,” Maddy Konya, senior, shared. Even being able to just spend time with other players is what has made playing for Homestead so special. “One of my favorite memories from softball is sitting on the turf before practice with the whole team, including the coaches, and talking to each other about life and school,” Sadie Ferguson, senior, said. The memories they have made have helped shape how they want future players in the program to experience it also.

As their time on the Homestead softball field is coming to a close, the seniors work to make this season better than the last. They are working on creating a better environment for future players, in addition, hoping to leave the program a better one than when they entered.

“During my final season, I’m trying to have a positive attitude and be someone people can look to for support. I hope that my non-senior teammates will also want to be that person for their teammates when they become seniors,” Ferguson said.

“In my final season I’m working on making a culture in which no one is afraid to fail. Last season we all found that we were scared to disappoint our teammates and make errors. This year we are working on lifting every player up and making every player confident in their abilities.” Burd explained.

Another main focus the seniors have for the future of the program is the younger, upcoming players. “I really want the program to grow in these next few years and in the future. I know that our freshman class came in with a fantastic group of girls, and I am excited to see them grow in the program and to see them in 2027 in their senior season playing their hearts out. It is going to be really cool,” Otto said.

Konya described how she wants underclassmen players to experience playing in a fun atmosphere. “I hope the program continues to be a positive environment where girls are encouraged to work hard while still having fun with their friends!” Burd shared a similar point of view. “In the future I would like Homestead softball to be an environment where girls can play to have fun. That’s what I believe is the best part of the game and I want that to be the reason girls play.”

By trying to accomplish these goals, the seniors have been staying positive throughout games and practices. “I am working to keep the vibe positive and remind everyone to have fun while giving all of their effort,” Boehlke said.

The seniors will take the field the last few times during the end of May when playoffs begin. As of right now the last game is scheduled for May 14 against Divine Savior Holy Angels (DSHA) at home.

Once the five seniors,Boehlke, Burd, Ferguson, Konya and Otto, finish their final season at Homestead, a few of them will continue playing in college: Burd atBemidji State, and Otto at the University of Wisconsin – Superior.