Homestead adapts to unexpected course loss

The+Project+Lead+the+Way+%28PLTW%29+sign+stands+alone+outside+the+room+where+the+courses+would+take+place.+There+are+no+more+classes+offered+in+PLTW+for+the+2014-15+school+year%2C+but+classes+will+return+for+2015-16+pending+a+teacher+hire+and+student+enrollment.+Our+focus+is+making+sure+we+can+offer+these+courses+to+interested+students%2C+Dr.+Demond+Means%2C+superintendent%2C+said.+

The Project Lead the Way (PLTW) sign stands alone outside the room where the courses would take place. There are no more classes offered in PLTW for the 2014-15 school year, but classes will return for 2015-16 pending a teacher hire and student enrollment. “Our focus is making sure we can offer these courses to interested students,” Dr. Demond Means, superintendent, said.

In an ever-changing world, adaption is key, and the Mequon-Thiensville School District (MTSD) had to do just that this past week after a staff member’s resignation posed a staffing vacancy in Homestead’s technical education programs. Specifically, Project Lead the Way (PLTW), autos and Highlander Printing were affected by the resignation.

As a result, the courses are no longer offered for the 2014-2015 school year, and enrolled students needed to switch. “We had to go to the counseling office and get a new schedule, and then changed courses. I pushed World Studies up to this trimester, and I have an empty space next trimester that I will work out in March,” Ethan Ellerbrock, freshman, said.

For Homestead’s school counselors, the vacancy triggered an unexpected need to find courses for these students. “It is certainly difficult for any student to change schedules mid-year, but we thank the students for being so understanding, gracious and wonderful,” Mrs. Lauren Schaefer, school counselor, said. “We try to put the best interests of the students first, and do what we can to help them through a difficult situation,” Mr. David Markson, school counselor, said.

In terms of alleviating the staffing vacancy, MTSD “has been in contact with the Milwaukee School of Engineering and the University of Wisconsin-Stout, two leading programs of teachers certified in technical education,” Mr. Matt Joynt, assistant superintendent, said. “We support PLTW and are focused on hiring someone for next year and beyond,” Dr. Demond Means, superintendent, said.

When hiring a new staff member, pending legislation could alter the process. “Alberta Darling is providing a waiver for people who are technically inclined to teach technical education courses,” Dr. Means said. “It gives school districts the flexibility to hire people with content expertise but not as much teaching expertise.”

However, this waiver can stem controversy. “Some say that only a licensed teacher should be with children,” Dr. Means said. “Those are the two sides to this interesting issue.”

For the students, this issue represents a small stumbling block on the larger road of Homestead’s technical education, and will be resolved in the immediate future. “There is not a lot of engineering opportunities, so I was excited about it, and will definitely try and take PLTW next year,” Ellerbrock said.

A new chance at the course might offer fresh possibilities. “My girlfriends and I were separated because there were multiple sections, so maybe next time we will be lucky enough to be together,” Erin Lipkowitz, freshman, said. “I really liked the class and would take it next year.”

In general, the PLTW program, despite recent circumstances, is here to stay. “Our commitment to the program is long-standing, and we have to see it and technical education in general continue as strong programs,” Dr. Means said.