Students desire class registration later in the year

Cassie Shaurette

The idea of picking classes for next year causes stress amongst many students.

Nervous, stressed and overwhelmed are all feelings that students experience when it comes time to pick classes for next year. Schedules for picking classes were handed out on Monday, Jan. 12, and are due back on Jan. 27 for freshmen, 28 for sophomores and 29 for juniors.

The classes students take in high school can affect them for the rest of their lives, affecting their future professions and life choices. Rushing to pick classes at such an early point in the year could be detrimental to a student’s education. They could end up choosing classes for which they have no background information and normally would not take, simply because they did not have enough time to choose wisely.

How can students know which classes they would like to take next year when they have neither finished their second trimester classes, nor started their third? “I don’t think it’s smart to have class registration so early because I don’t even know what my final grade will be in that class, which leaves me with nothing to base next year’s classes on,” Kaitlyn Schultz, junior, said.

In a poll of 100 Homestead students, 72 percent said that they would rather have class registrations later in the year.

Molly Ryan, freshman, explained why she would prefer registering later. “The classes that I have third trimester could determine what I would want to take next year,” Ryan said. “For instance, I have Exploratory Art third trimester, and I don’t know if I want to take other art classes because I haven’t taken art yet.”

In response to students preferring registration later, Principal Brett Bowers said, “We have to have students choose classes at this time, so that we have time to decide on staffing, build the master schedule, and revise conflicts within it. That process takes several months.”

Some students do see the advantage in picking classes early because they are already prepared with the classes they would like to take. “I would rather have it now because that way I can just get it over with, and not have to worry about it later,” Emily Kowaleski, junior, said.

Teachers have been encouraged to be increasingly involved in the advisement process, which is an important step. There are also opportunities to have both small group and individual talks with teachers, and counselors are always available.

“I think that if students take the time to think through the process, seek the advice of teachers, and confer with their counselor, they can do the course selection process without a high degree of stress,” Principal Bowers said.