Coach Lisa Beltramello looks forward to new girls lacrosse program

The first ever season of girls lacrosse begins March 7, 2016. Photo used with permission from Getty Images

Homestead High School has pursued an interest in the sport of lacrosse. Coach Lisa Beltramello was hired in the first week of December and is excited to be the first ever coach of girls lacrosse at Homestead High School. Coach Beltramello said, “I hope what I bring to the table will help these girls have fun while making history for Homestead lacrosse.

Coach Beltramello has played lacrosse for the last 12 years and has been coaching for three. When playing for the Marquette University team, she found a passion in wanting to be a coach.

When she heard about the opportunity to help start a program at Homestead she applied right away. Coach Beltramello has been a part of startup programs in high school and college so she has experienced the unique position of being able to establish the foundation of a program.

The season officially starts March 7 and runs until the first week of June, but there are optional practices every Monday night from 9-10 p.m. until the season starts. Each player needs their own equipment, including; goggles, mouthguard, a stick and running shoes.

Coach Beltramello and Sabrina Boehlke, assistant coach from Concordia University, decided to start with a junior varsity team because of the amount of girls that have pursued an interest. In the next year or two there will be a varsity team, but it all depends on how the upcoming season turns out. The games will be played on the new turf field at Homestead.

Ms. Beltramello works as a paraprofessional at Homestead and can be found during fifth hour, Flex Time or after school in room 403. She can always be contacted at [email protected]. Alex Buchanan, sophomore, started a Facebook page with all of the announcements about girls lacrosse, students can email her at [email protected] to be added into the group. “I am really excited that Homestead is hosting a lacrosse team. I cannot wait for the season to start this spring,” Buchanan said.