District-wide food drive to launch Monday

Anna Kreynin

Family Sharing is looking to receive nonperishable items such as peanut butter, canned fruits and vegetables and canned tuna–items that students can most-likely find in the back of their pantries.

Every month, Family Sharing provides an average of 42,000 pounds of food to 600 Ozaukee County households, according to Family Sharing’s website. Beginning Monday, Feb. 15, Homestead students will have an opportunity to make a contribution to the goods entering these households. Until Wednesday, Feb. 24, AVID and the Student Social Responsibility Team are pairing up to host a food drive benefiting Family Sharing.

The food drive will include a competition between grade levels, with members of each grade level placing donations in their grade’s respective bin. According to Family Sharing’s website, items that are always needed include peanut butter, jellies, healthy crackers, canned beef stew, canned tuna, baked beans, condiments, salad dressing, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, canned fruit, canned vegetables, canned sweet potatoes, pancake mix, syrup, sugar, flour, cooking oil, cereal, oatmeal, diapers (especially larger sizes), baby formula, shampoo, shaving cream and razors, toothpaste & toothbrushes, deodorant, toilet paper, dish soap and white vinegar. The winning grade will receive a trophy, which will hopefully be passed on in the coming years.

Students in the charge of the food drive hope to collect 10,000 products throughout the entire school district. “The AVID 12 class wanted to think of a way to give back to the community and, at the same time, leave our mark on Homestead,” Chris Malicky, senior, said. “We thought this annual food drive would be a great way to do that.”