Girls track looks to start outdoor season strong

As the outdoor season starts this week for girls and boys track and field, the girls team looks to carry the momentum from a successful end to the indoor season outside. Placing second in the North Shore Conference, the girls showed their prowess in indoor competition and look to continue performing well this week as the outdoor season starts.

Lily Norman, freshman, placed fourth in the 400 meter run at indoor conference and commented on her performance. “I was pleasantly surprised by how I did in the 400, being that it was not only my first time running in that event but also my first time running varsity,” Norman said.

Following up the performance at indoor conference, some of the varsity team travelled to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater to compete at the indoor state meet. As a culmination of the hard work the team put in in the first couple weeks, the meet provided the opportunity to run well and compete against 46 other teams in Wisconsin.

“This year has been a lot more intense which is really great. Our times are showing the increased effort this year,” Allison Fochs, senior, said. “There were a lot of PR’s at indoor state and hopefully more will follow outdoors. Personally, I’m hoping to hit some PR’s once we head outdoors.”

Katie Wegmann, junior, placed third in the 800 meter run at indoor state with a time of 2:23. “It was great for me to see where I would be compared to some of the best runners in the state at such an early point in the season, and I can’t wait to start competing outdoors,” Wegmann said.

Along with Wegmann’s third place finish, Maddie Powell, senior, won her heat of the 800 with a 2:30, Zanelle Willemse, sophomore, took eighth in the 1600 with a time of 5:19 and the 4×400 relay team of Fochs, Wegmann, Savannah Melan, sophomore, and Kimmy Hartlieb, freshman, took second in their heat and 12th overall with a time of 4:22. Overall, the Highlanders placed 26th out of 47 teams.
The team travels to West Allis for their first outdoor meet of the season. Homestead will compete against New Berlin Eisenhower, New Berlin West, Divine Savior Holy Angels, Franklin, Kenosha Tremper, Muskego, Oak Creek, Pius XI, University School of Milwaukee, Waukesha South, Waukesha West, Whitnall and West Allis Central.