Girls soccer stays undefeated in tournament

The team poses for a victory picture.

Submitted photo

The team poses for a victory picture.

Homestead girls soccer swept a victory in the Scott Procknow Memorial tournament on Friday, April 15 and Saturday, April 16. Procknow was a teacher and a soccer coach at Tremper High School who passed away in a car accident in 2007. The team first played Neenah High school and then Kenosha Tremper High school to finish off the tournament. 

The tournament was held in memory of Scott Procknow, a teacher and soccer coach at Tremper High School who passed away in a car accident in 2007.

With yet another shut-out against Neenah, the Lady Highlanders started off on high note. Brigid West, junior, was the first to score followed by Alex Lutz, senior, and Lizzi White, freshman, to result in a 3-0 win. “Ending with a shutout is always a nice feeling but we couldn’t have done it without the defense marking up as well as they have been and helping me out back there,” Kelli Ausman, senior goalie, said.

After the first win, the girls went into the second game with confidence. Seven minutes into the game, Jenna Dorf scored a low corner shot, making that the only goal for the first half. “It was an honor to be a part of this tournament and play a sport that I’m so passionate about in memory of a man who loved it as much as I do. Scoring was a bonus and I’m happy I’m off to a great start in the season and hope to continue on a positive slope,” Dorf said.

The second half was slow until Allie Haddad, senior, drilled a cross off to Lily Konik who put the ball in the net. With only four minutes remaining, Coco Wiencek, senior, while trying to score, slammed her head against the post, leaving a giant goose egg. “Hitting my head wasn’t the best timing considering I had prom later that day, but this was the first time in my four years that we actually won this tournament so that is exciting,” Wiencek said.

The team is currently undefeated, making state look promising for these Highlanders. The first conference game will take place Tuesday, April 19. “The goal this year is state, plain and simple. We have the talent and the team chemistry to really make it far and win against tough opponents. I’ve played with a lot of these girls since my freshman year and it is super exciting to have such an amazing team to finish my senior year with. Expect big things from your girls under the Tuesday night lights,” Lauren Padgett, senior captain, said.