Girls varsity tennis team wins conference tournament

The girls varsity tennis team faced one of their toughest challenges yet- the North Shore conference, on Tuesday, Sept. 27. The conference tournament included seven other schools: Nicolet, Whitefish Bay, Cedarburg, Grafton, Germantown, Port Washington  and Milwaukee Lutheran.

The tournament started Tuesday and lasted until Wednesday, Sept. 28. The girls played at various locations, and ended up bringing home a win.

One Singles player, Katya Mikhailenko, senior, played Cedarburg in the first round, and won 6-0, 6-0. In the second round, Mikhailenko beat Whitefish Bay with a score of 6-4, 6-2. Competing against Nicolet in the third and last round, Mikhailenko ended with a win of 6-2, 6-1.

“The last time we won conference was my freshman year. So, this is a really good start to a bittersweet ending,” Mikhailenko said.

Two Singles player, Andie Weise, freshman, played Germantown, Whitefish Bay and Nicolet. Weise won all three matches.

One Doubles players: Frankie LaLonde, junior, and Sasha Shapsis, freshman, also won their matches. In their final round, the duo beat Nicolet with a score of 6-2, 7-6.

“I was so proud of all of us. Almost sweeping conference is a huge deal. We’re in the toughest conference in the state. Three out of five of the best teams in the state are in the North Shore conference, to put it into perspective. Everyone really rose to the occasion last night, and we’re all really looking forward to sectionals and state,” LaLonde said.

Offering her perspective as a freshman, Shapsis shared her thoughts on the meet last night. “Coming in as a freshman, it’s my first year on the team. So, the fact I get to play number one doubles is such a cool thing to be able to do. And, yesterday obviously being my first conference was such a fun and amazing experience. Playing with Frankie is great because she’s just such a good player.”

The girls look to defend their number one title in the upcoming semi-sectionals on Friday, Sept. 30.