Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Liz Hacker, junior, shares her experiences at a summer camp with her family.

Every summer, my family goes to Fort Wilderness, a camp in Rhinelander Wis. My siblings and I say “it’s like heaven on earth!”

The volunteers and staff there have always included me. Every morning we have religious classes and other than having a family member help me, my peers help me. My friend, Heidi, is always hanging out with me. Sometimes, she is too concerned about me. We have gone on some crazy adventures .

The Gathering place is my favorite place to hang out with people. When I enter, the smell of coffee fills my nostrils. I feel the cool air conditioning surround me. When the weather is bad, I love gathering with friends, having a worship time and listening to the soothing guitar.

I have developed some long-term friendships with other campers. They have watched me when I am unable to do activities. We have stayed up late around campfires talking about what has been happening in our lives .

The thing that I love about Fort is that I can relax and reflect on life. I have spent hours rolling through camp thinking about the tough stuff I deal with . Sometimes, I just sit and pray in the Gathering Place.

Rio has trouble with the terrain. Everyday I get stuck somewhere at camp; thankfully, campers help me get unstuck. I do not go to the beach unless someone is with me because of the sand, which is the worst terrain for any kind of wheelchair. Another thing that is hard on Rio is her battery runs out in the late afternoon because I am on the go for the majority of the day.

Campfires, oh how I love spending nights around the warmth of a fire. The smell is soothing to me after a busy day of activities. Everyone in our friend group in a one place. Campfires are an awesome way to meet other campers, as they usually walk around camp to visit other families.

Wednesdays at camp are crazy. The adults have their “date night “ and the kids hang out with volunteers. It’s totally crazy, I eat while my peers eat and then I hang out with the little kids. The high school group goes to the beach and goes swimming, which I cannot do without supervision. I love helping out with the little kids. There is never a dull moment!

Horses: I don’t like the smell, but I like to ride them! We know the wranglers pretty well so they have a private lesson. We do many obstacle courses and ride around the arena.

Carpet ball is a popular game at camp. Kids gather around to play the winners. I’m pretty good at it and was in the tournament! Unfortunately, a boy once creamed me really badly, but he was the champion of the tournament.

The last night of camp is the party night! We stay up and just have fun. We eat a lot of junk food and have campfires at 9:30. It is a bittersweet feeling knowing that we are leaving the next morning.
Fort Wilderness has had an immense impact on my life and I’m so grateful for it!

Liz Hacker, Intro Staffer

Liz is a junior at Homestead. She moved to Thiensville in 2011. Her middle school years were not the best ones in her life; high school is so much better!...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp”

1. Diane Waddington on February 15th, 2017 3:00 pm

I love your article Liz! As you know, Fort is also one of my family’s most favorite places! I love that we have that in common!

2. Amanda M. Wuehr on February 22nd, 2017 3:08 pm

Love hearing about your Fort experiences and knowing that my family has the same adventures! Daily praise and worship, campfires, Cowboy Truth, great food, awesome conversation and so much more!

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

The Best of Homestead

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Athletes gear up for spring sports season

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Jugmen use annual traditions to celebrate in style

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Latin students attend annual Latin Convention

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Defeat overcome by determination

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Creating a world of sound

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Students attend new winter formal

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

The streak continues

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Hungry for More: Big night on the court

• Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp

Making spirits bright: Student Council raises over $1000 for toy drive

Adventures with Rio: Summer Camp