Girls lacrosse comes out victorious in first game of the season

Abbi Passey

Lindsey Schimpf, sophomore, attempts to gain possession of the ball.

After a season filled with multiple challenges, the girls lacrosse team is back again this year and off to a steady start. The girls took on their first rival of the season, Arrowhead, at home on Tuesday, April 5 and brought home their first win, 13-6.

Neck-and-neck throughout the first two quarters, the girls were tied by the end of the first half, 5-5. The girls came back the second half determined to conquer their opponents.

“Because it was the first game of the season, it was great to get the win, especially against a really good team. After I scored, it was a great feeling because the whole team celebrated,” Emily Polk, senior, said.

Polk, Morgan Bayer, senior, Amy Erpenbeck, freshman, Chelsea Rowe, Marie Downey, Rachel Writz, Ginger Schwarz, juniors, and Anna LaLande, sophomore, each scored goals.

“The best part was beating a team that had beat us last year. It shows how far we have come as a team and how much potential we have for the future. It was good to start the season with a win,” Writz said.

The defense also greatly contributed to the win. The team’s two alternating goalies, Andrea Griffin and Emmalee Meinolf, sophomores, gave the game their all and were able to successfully stop multiple shots. With other key defensive plays made by Sarah Sullivan, Ellie Parmenko, juniors, Lindsey Schimpf, sophomore, and Lauren Grant, senior, the girls were able to beat their rival.

“I’m super excited for this upcoming season because a lot of us get along pretty well and there are a lot of talented girls that are dedicated to this sport. We already got a win in our first game against our rival, Arrowhead, so we are all pretty pumped about that. I’m excited to see where the season takes us and how far we get,” Sullivan said.