Track and field strikes again at NSC Championships

Bradley+Woldt%2C+junior%2C+gets+set+in+the+blocks+for+the+1600+meter+relay+at+the+NSC+Relay+meet.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Bradley Woldt, junior, gets set in the blocks for the 1600 meter relay at the NSC Relay meet.

Erin Carley

Erin Carley

Erin Carley

Under the beating sun on Tuesday, May 16, the North Shore Conference (NSC) gathered at Cedarburg High School for the varsity track outdoor NSC Championships meet. With impressive times, heights and distances, the girls team earned fourth place, and the boys team secured the title of NSC Champions for the third year in a row.

Scoring a total of 141.5 points, the boys beat out second place school Whitefish Bay by a mere 14 points. The athletes are now looking down a bright road that will hopefully lead to the state competition on Saturday, June 3.

Among the smiles abounding at the meet, top places and personal records were achieved. Within the distance team, gold medals were earned by Drew Bosley, sophomore, for the mile and Thomas Miller, senior, for the two mile. Among the top sprinters, Lief Erlandson, senior, finished third in the 400 meter dash with a personal record of 51.05 seconds. “Forget the glass slippers, this princess wears running shoes,” Erlandson said jokingly.

Out in the field, competitors reached great heights too–both figuratively and literally. Winners in field events include Tim Rodd, senior, who threw the shot 52 feet and a quarter inch, securing first place in shot put. Tyler Brown, sophomore, won second place in high jump with a height of six feet and one inch, matching his personal record.

Brown reflects back on the many challenges he overcame throughout his track career. At the very beginning of the season, the athlete injured his back, causing a disk to slip from his spine. Brown could barely walk, but as he recuperated his strength, his urge to compete only grew stronger. “Second place, in a varsity conference, as a sophomore, is something I’m very proud of having accomplished… I feel blessed,” Brown said.

The girls team earned top places in numerous events. Among the top rankers, Allie Levin, senior, won third in the 800-meter run. Savannah Melan, junior, placed first in the 400-meter dash, breaking a minute with her new personal record of 59.91 seconds. Leah Gholson, senior, dominated the hurdle races, placing first in the 300-meter hurdles and second in the 100-meter hurdles.

Coach. John Krueger, head coach of the girls team, was very pleased with the team’s overall performance. “I am most proud of the way the team never quit and cheered their teammates on until the our last runner crossed the line. We may not have won the meet as a team, but had a lot of great performances and efforts to build on as we try to advance through the post-season,” Krueger said.

For the complete results, click here for girls and here for boys.