Girls varsity tennis comes out victorious in the Nicolet Invite

The Homestead Girls Tennis team kept their undefeated record at the Nicolet Invite on Sept. 23. The Nicolet Invite is a one-day tournament hosted by Nicolet High School. The invite was the girls’ last regular season meet, and the Highlanders remained undefeated all season.

Homestead defeated both Notre Dame Academy in the first round and Brookfield East in the second round, 7-0. The girls then beat Neenah High School with a score of 5-2 in the finals, with losses at 2 singles and 1 doubles. Neenah High School is currently ranked second in the state of Wisconsin, with the Highlanders victorious and undefeated at first.

“Beating Neenah in the finals was so exciting because it really makes us a little bit more confident going into the rest of the season and hopefully going to team state,” Frankie La Londe, senior, said.

Although the hot weather was an evident negative factor of the day, the team didn’t let it bother them.

“Even though the hot weather was very apparent at the meet, each person really persevered and always kept a positive attitude on and off the court,” Alyssa Boyer, senior, said. “I really am proud of how we did during this tournament and how we have been doing this entire season.”

“Although it was really warm yesterday, I didn’t hear anyone complain. Everybody just worked through it and kept on playing. I think our team is getting stronger and stronger by the day whether it be cheering for each other or having fun,” Andie Weise, sophomore, said.

Overall, the team was very positive about how the meet ended and have great hopes for the rest of their season.

“We played some strong teams that we hadn’t met yet this season, but as a team, we overcame the challenges we faced,” Natalie Yang, sophomore, said.

“Our team came in with high hopes and expectations and we exceeded those expectations in this tournament. I couldn’t be more proud of our team this weekend,” Jamie Gebhardt, sophomore, said.