Homestead artists recognized in Scholastic Art and Writing awards

Elisa Carranza, senior, won a Gold Key in Drawing and Illustration, with this piece titled “Emma.”

Homestead High School art students submitted pieces on Dec. 21, 2017 to the Milwaukee Art Museum in order to gain a place in the art exhibition in February. They submitted these pieces to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. According to the Scholastic website, “The Scholastic Awards look for work that demonstrates originality, technical skill, and the emergence of a personal voice or vision.”

The Homestead art department participates in this event yearly. Art teachers, Kat Hustedde, Katie Nowak and Joshua Hunt each encourage students to submit to this competition. The winners were announced recently, with many Homestead students receiving recognition. The awards begin at the level of Honorable Mention, rise to Silver Key and then the top honor is a Gold Key.

The winners are as follows:

Ali Mariam, junior, won an Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration with her piece “Julio.”

Robby Baranko, senior, won an Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration with his piece “Bleu Bouteilles.”

Elisa Carranza, senior, won an Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration for her piece “Vitreous;” she also won a Silver Key for her Drawing and Illustration, “Alyssa;” lastly, she won a Gold Key in Drawing and Illustration, for her piece “Emma.”

Anthony Kimm, senior, won a Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration for his piece “Fiducia.”

Max Kroft, senior, won an Honorable Mention in Painting for his piece “Lonely Sunset.”

Sam Laferriere, senior, won a Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration with, “Bendin da Blues.” He also won a Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration for “Are You Experienced?”

Isabella Meyer, sophomore, won an Honorable Mention in Digital Art for her piece “Mother Nature.”

Chayanit Wanwanich, senior, won an Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration for “Man Vs. Nature.” She also received a Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration for her Portrait, “Age 16.”

Jake Yasonik, sophomore, won an Honorable Mention in Drawing and Illustration with his piece, “Snowglobes of Time.”