It runs in the family

Laura Bosley (left), Drew Bosley (middle), his brother Owen, and his dad (right) run in three different races, Laura in a high school cross country meet, Drew in a high school cross country meet and his Dad and brother  in a track race.

Submitted photos

Laura Bosley (left), Drew Bosley (middle), his brother Owen, and his dad (right) run in three different races, Laura in a high school cross country meet, Drew in a high school cross country meet and his Dad and brother in a track race.

Drew Bosley crosses the finish line in his normal position at the front of the pack of a boys cross country race.

Every time he finishes with a good time or place, it is not the first time a Bosley has done this. His parents, Andy and Laura Bosley, were both outstanding runners in high school and at the collegiate level.

Andy ran at the University of Wisconsin Madison.

Laura ran at UW Parkside.  

Drew credits his recent success to the way his parents raised him as a child. “They [my parents] are the ones that push me the hardest, and they are the ones that made me the competitive person that I am today.”

Drew’s competitiveness is one of the many traits that people notice when he runs. Along with this, people may see the speed and endurance he has while running.

“I think I have my dad’s strength and my mom’s speed, and together that is a pretty deadly combination as a distance runner,” Drew said.

This combination has been truly deadly this fall and winter.

Drew has placed seventh in two national meets.

He also represented his country in The Great Edinburg Meet in Scotland on Jan. 15, a race in which he took eleventh place.

His parents, especially his dad, who is his coach, are very proud of the success he has been having on such a big stage. “It’s really exciting. I have been coaching for over 20 years. To have any athlete I get to spend time with and coach do this well is fun, but when it’s your kid, it’s even more fun.”

As well as loving to watch Drew run and do well, both parents can see a little glimpse into their past while watching him train and compete in all the meets. “I see my goofy side in him,  Andy is more of the serious side of running which, Drew is good at, but also just having fun at practice and knowing you don’t always have to be serious at practice,” his mom said about seeing a part of herself in Drew.

Along with both parents seeing themselves in Drew, they both say that one of the traits that stands out the most while watching him run is his competitiveness,  always wanting to push himself to get a better time, even from a young age.

His mom believes one of the reasons he pushes himself so much is wanting to outdo his dad, whom he is often compared with. “I think that inspires Drew, and he likes to put that extra pressure on himself and be competitive. I don’t know how old he was when he started talking about breaking Andy’s records,” she said. “At a young age he was ready to go get Andy’s records.”

As well as different time records that Drew wants to break of his dad’s, there are other collegiate accomplishments that both of his parents had that they hope Drew will reach in the coming years. “Running in the collegiate national cross country and track championship were really fun experiences and I would hope that Drew would have an opportunity to do that and have some high finishes at those meets,” his dad said.

His mom also has some hopes for Drew at the collegiate level. “I hope he will become an All-American at the collegiate level. I have three all Americans, and Andy has one, so I think that would be cool to see Drew accomplish that and hopefully much more.”

As the son of two collegiate cross country runners, do not be surprised if you see Drew surpassing the accomplishments his parents reached years ago.