Meet the Homecoming King and Queen

Homestead’s 2014 Homecoming King and Queen share 17 facts about themselves.

William Toney and Tenley Sanduski, seniors, were crowned King and Queen of Homecoming 2014. Every year, four couples are nominated for the esteemed honor of being Homecoming King and Queen. The winners receive flowers and a crown, as well as the opportunity to ride in a float during the Homecoming parade. Highlander Publications sat down for an in-depth interview with this year’s king and queen.

1. How did you feel when you found out that you were Homecoming king/queen?
Toney: When I found out I had been chosen as Homecoming King I was very honored and excited. As a little kid I remember watching movies and seeing the “cool” kids as the Kings and I set in my mind that I wanted to be that person. So I feel like I am accomplishing my childhood dreams!

Sanduski: I was really surprised, but super excited! I thought it would be fun to win, but I didn’t think it would actually happen, so it was really special. I would have been happy no matter who won queen, though. All the girls that were on court are fantastic and so deserving.

2. What’s your favorite part of being a Highlander?
Toney: My favorite part is being able to express my school spirit in the ways I feel I should. I enjoy the reputation that comes with the name!

Sanduski: Definitely the fact that we have so much school spirit and so much pride as a school. As Highlanders, we are a part of a huge community of people who are all really proud of our school. And we should be! Homestead is a really great school.

3. What is your favorite memory at Homestead?
Toney: My favorite memory at HHS is going on the annual Homestead choir retreat; this is honestly my favorite part of the year.

Sanduski: Being told over the loud speakers that water pipes burst and we could go home.

4. Who is your role model?
Toney: My father (grandfather)

Sanduski: Kate Middleton. She is so poised and elegant and I really look up to her for that. She also does a lot of humanitarian work that is really admirable. And of course, my mom! She’ll always be the person that inspires me the most.

5. What word would you use to describe each other?
Toney: Genuine, because she seems to always have a smile on her face and is always kind to others, no matter what!

Sanduski: Congenial because he’s such a happy, friendly guy!

6. If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Toney: My mom’s shrimp scampi!

Sanduski: Pretzel bites from the movie theater.

7. What advice would you give to freshmen?
Toney: In order to be accepted into society, you don’t have to become what appears is “right,” but just be yourself and you’ll fit into the puzzle eventually.

Sanduski: Enjoy high school! Join lots of clubs, go to plays and sporting events and just do as much as you can because it really does go by fast and it’s so much fun to get involved.

8. What’s your most embarrassing moment?
Toney: In 7th grade I had a solo in my choir and when it was time for me to sing I completely blanked out for the whole thing. If you can’t say that’s #awkward, then I don’t know what is.

Sanduski: Probably the first day of freshman year. I was throwing my lunch away and some kid threw his tray on top of an already precarious stack and they all fell everywhere. Of course, he sprinted away and I was left standing there and all the seniors started doing the freshman chant at me and I’m pretty sure the whole cafeteria saw. It was a really awkward, but special, moment.

9. What activities do you participate in?
Toney: I’m in Camerata, the plays and the musical, I’m a link crew leader and I did football my first three years of high school. I tried wrestling, but I don’t think that was for me. I’ve done and array of different things.

Sanduski: I was on the tennis team for three years, and I also attempted soccer and intramural basketball freshman and sophomore year. I’ve dabbled in student council a little this year by helping with some Homecoming things. One of my regrets in high school was not participating in theater. I used to love acting!

10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
Toney: I would like to live in either Italy or Australia for a little bit of my life.

Sanduski: Switzerland or somewhere tropical like Hawaii. Both are such beautiful places!

11. Who is your favorite teacher?
Toney: Mrs. Sabin

Sanduski: I have so many. Gotta give a shout out to Mrs. Zortman, though, I always looked forward to her class. She’s great.

12. If you could learn one random skill, what would you learn?
Toney: I’d really like to put both of my feet behind my head. It’s something different

Sanduski: How to do that cool flippy thing that kids do with a pencil using their fingers.

13. What is your favorite movie?
Toney: The Avengers

Sanduski: This is a hard one. I could name like 30, but I’d have to go with The Proposal because A) Ryan Reynolds and B) Betty White.

14. If you could spend the day with any celebrity, who would it be?
Toney: Jennifer Lopez, cuz I’m bout dat life.

Sanduski: Ellen Degeneres. We’d eat pizza and laugh at cat videos on YouTube all day.

15. What is your ultimate dream job?
Toney: I really want to do a job that involves working with other people while also building relationships.

Sanduski: To be Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue.

16. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
Toney: Well, not a lot of people know that when I was 14 months old my mother died from a blood clot and ever since then my grandparents have been raising me, with the help of my family.

Sanduski: I love watching the History Channel.

17. If you knew you would die tomorrow, what would you do today?
Toney: Well, I’d make sure I was on good standing with the people I knew. Then I’d make sure the spiritual aspect of my life was in check. Because nothing would be worse than not knowing where you’d be spending eternity.

Sanduski: Order a wedding cake for myself then eat the whole thing.