Coaches vs. Cancer: Boys hockey game against USM raises money and awareness

Ava Wojnowski

Game time. Boys varsity hockey team convenes before the game starts.

Coaches vs. Cancer is an annual fundraising event that Homestead’s boys hockey team participates in to show their support against the fight of cancer. Each year, the team comes well prepared in hopes of taking down one of their biggest rivals – University School of Milwaukee (USM).

The Homestead stands were alive with energy during the game on Saturday, Feb. 2 at USM. Student after student walked into the rink, of course, dressed in Highlander red. The students were not only coming to support the hockey team but also a great cause.

This event was more than just a regular hockey game. Homestead’s Relay for Life committee worked with students from USM to raise money to the American Cancer Society to make the game so much more special. 

“We were so excited to have the Coaches vs. Cancer game again this year. Even though there may be a rivalry between these two schools, the community really came together for this amazing cause. It was awesome to see the crowd that came out for the game and we are really excited to see everything come together for our relay event in March,” Bridget Brown, junior, said.

Before the game, both schools designed T-shirts that were sold to students and the profits went to Relay for Life. Additionally, at the game, both Homestead and USM students and parents participated in a bucket pass, donating money to put into the buckets. Between the T-shirt sales and bucket pass the students raised $950.

With all the school spirit and support, Homestead was able to raise both money and awareness for the cause.