Homestead athletes nominated for MJS Sports Awards

Pierce Stastney, Zach Teplin, Jared Schneider, Drew Bosley, and Paige Weir, seniors, Natalie Yang, junior, and Leane Willemse, sophomore, pose after the awards ceremony. Not pictured Taylor Raskin, junior.

Seven Homestead students attended the awards ceremony for the 2019 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel High School Sports Awards.

Drew Bosley, senior, was nominated for the Cross Country Athlete of the Year, Track and Field Athlete of the Year, and Overall Athlete of the Year awards. Jared Schneider, senior, was also nominated for the Track and Field Athlete of the Year award, while Leane Willemse was nominated for the Cross Country Athlete of the Year award. Pierce Stastney and Paige Weir, seniors, were nominated for the Hockey Athlete of the Year award, Jake Raddatz, senior, for the Football Athlete of the Year award, and Natalie Yang, junior, for the Tennis Athlete of the Year award. Taylor Raskin, junior, was nominated for the Gymnast of the Year award.

Of these students, Drew Bosley won, taking home all three of the awards for which he was nominated. Bosley has won the Cross Country award twice before, yet his other two wins are new.

Only eight students are nominated in each category, and being one of those is already an achievement in itself. “It’s always exciting to be recognized for an achievement,” Stastney said.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel chose the winners in each category. Putting on a great event, the night will not be forgotten soon.

Despite not winning, the nominated athletes know that their efforts were not in vain. “It was really interesting to see how dedication and hard work really pays off,” Yang said.

Michael Phelps was the keynote speaker of the event. The athletes in attendance took away some lessons after hearing him. “I take away both a greater desire to persevere in the face of failure and also a reminder to always be kind to others,” Stastney said.

Bosley also learned from Phelps’ message. “Mental health is a very serious topic, and if there is ever a time I am at a low point, there is no reason I shouldn’t communicate to people I trust,” Bosley said. Bosley even got the chance to talk to Phelps. The talented swimmer asked for the runner’s phone number. Phelps lives in Arizona, which is where the Homestead senior will go to college next year.