Q & A with essential business workers

Brittanica ImageQuest

As some people work from home and others are out on the frontlines, employees’ work has changed dramatically.

According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, essential businesses are permitted to remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic. These are businesses deemed necessary for the public and day-to-day life. To remain open, they must meet several restrictions and follow all social distancing requirements to maintain public health.

On dhs.wisconsin.gov there are 29 business types labeled as essential. These range anywhere from health care services to stores that sell groceries to restaurants to higher education institutions. While schools have closed and restaurants are no longer open for sit down service, their employees are still working to provide for the community.

Ashley Pozel is an English teacher at Homestead, and she has been teaching online since March 30. Tim Van Vooren is a sports broadcaster for Fox 6 News and has been reporting from home for the past weeks. Ashley Chavin, a senior at Homestead, has been working at Piggly Wiggly as more and more people flood grocery stores. Terry Socha works as a restaurant manager at Ferrante’s in Mequon, and she has been helping with take out and curbside delivery for customers.

For all people who work an essential job during this time, their line of work has changed dramatically. These four employees are sharing their stories.

Q: How has your job changed since the beginning of the pandemic?

Pozel: Up until recently, the biggest part of my job was interacting with kids: getting to know them and watching them grow as students and people. Since virtual learning that has been almost nonexistent because I can’t physically see or talk to any of my students. I’ve tried to put a lot of my personality into the lessons I’ve recorded and uploaded to, hopefully, help my current classes get an idea of who I am, but it’s definitely not the same as it would be in-person. The rest of my adapting has come in the form of actual teaching; I’ve had to transform a lot of things that I’d have kids do so that they can do them on their own. I’ve really had to up my screencast game over the last few weeks.

Socha: There are only eight or nine of us allowed in the building to cook, take orders, deliver food to cars, etc. We had a slow start; we only do curbside pick up from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday – Saturday. Right now we are unsure of when to reopen and how to set up the dining room to keep customers safe. If we were to reopen, employees would always wear masks and gloves when serving. Everything is very uncertain right now.

Van Vooren: I have not worked at my office since March 18. Being a remote employee has required getting a satisfactory technical setup, which was definitely a work in progress. In addition to honoring high school athletes who are not competing, I have also interviewed people like Brewers Manager Craig Counsell and Bucks player Kyle Korver from their homes and gotten great answers from them about being in this “timeout”. I also talked with multiple Olympians about how the postponement of the Games affects their training. We constructed a set in my basement to cover the Packers Draft – that was an experience!

Chavin: All employees have to wear masks and gloves in order to keep the customers safe as well as the employees. We stay a safe distance away from customers. We have definitely added a lot of new safety measures!

Q: What has been the most difficult part of working during this time?

Pozel: Hands down, not being able to see my kids anymore. I’ve really appreciated how often students check in and have swapped emails back and forth about how they’re doing and what they’ve been up to. Teaching isn’t really the same without actually working with students every day.

Socha: Just adapting. Trying to figure out what works for us and adjusting to the chaos of only having eight or nine people running the show. We try to stay organized even on our busy nights.

Van Vooren: The most difficult part has been learning how to effectively conduct interviews via Zoom Skype or FaceTime and then produce stories from those interviews has been a process. It is quite different than interviewing a player in the locker room.

Chavin: I wouldn’t say it has been difficult, if anything a lot of things have changed, so I would say just adjusting to those changes as they come.

Q: What has been a positive experience?

Pozel: The biggest positive, though, is seeing how able an entire community of teachers and students really is. We all had to adjust and make major life changes in the blink of an eye, and everyone is doing just that. I obviously give my colleagues a ton of credit for altering their whole teaching method, but our students are the real rockstars for being able to work with us and keep pushing through. I’ve never depended more on student feedback and check-ins, and I’m so grateful that they’re offering it up while also balancing everything else going on. I’ve yet to feel anything but support from MTSD. I think this whole situation came with millions of uncertainties, and everyone has chosen to focus instead on what we DO know and what is best for kids and families at this time, and everyone has really worked together to put those plans and best virtual practices into effect.

Socha: We have lots of regulars that come in, and they give lots of support. There has been overwhelming support from the community.

Van Vooren: We have modified our weekly High School Hot Shot feature to recognize two Senior Spring athletes each night. There has been a very positive response from our audience and it is great to recognize these boys and girls.

Chavin: A lot of customers that I’ve talked to shop for their neighbors or friends that cannot/should not go out. I think that in a time like this having someone to help support you is super important. It’s been nice to see how people support others.

Q: Do you have a message of hope for the community?

Pozel: We miss you! And we’re super proud of all the hard work you’ve been doing, both in and out of school. We know how much you have going on, and we feel for you and are here for you. I know if this experience has taught me anything, it’s that I love my job and my school, and I can’t wait to get back to our normal. Until then, just know your check-ins are keeping us sane, so please keep sending them.

Socha: Thank you for the overwhelming support! We appreciate it.

Van Vooren: There are silver linings in almost everything. Keep looking for them now and in the future as we emerge from the most unique period in our lives.

Chavin: Stay safe and stay kind.