Girls soccer starts off on a high note

Blair Martin

The girls huddle to discuss a game plan during their home game against Whitefish Bay.

The girls varsity soccer team has had a very successful start to their season, going undefeated so far. With five games underway, their current record is 4-0-1. Despite losing a few strong members from last year, there are a few freshmen who have stepped up and proved they are just as strong.

Julia Bentley, freshman forward and midfielder, is beyond excited to start her varsity high school soccer career successfully.

“Starting off the season undefeated is a really fun introduction to high school soccer. It makes me really excited to see what the rest of the season will look like and the following years,” Bentley said.

Last week Tuesday, April 19, the team mercy-ruled West Bend East/West, with a final score of 10-0. Just a few days later on Friday, April 22, the team beat Oshkosh West with a final score of 4-1.

Emily Grant, senior captain, midfielder, and defender, reflected on winning the last two games. “It felt amazing to win those games because it really pulls the team closer. It’s more enjoyable to win a game rather than lose, and celebrate with our team,” Grant said.

Despite a strong beginning, the team still knows what they need to work on.

“Even though winning has improved our team’s confidence, we are not overly confident. We know there are still little things we can improve, and what skills we need to work on,” Grant said.

The team’s next game is at home on Tuesday, April 26, against Nicolet.

Sophia King, senior captain, forward, and midfielder, has high hopes for the next game and the season.

“I enjoy this team a lot. We have become so close quickly and connect well on and off the field. I believe in my teammates and trust them individually to play their part in receiving a good outcome. I am excited to play Nicolet because I know a ton of the girls on the team. I want to win, and I also want to help our team place well in the conference. This will be a big game for us,” King said.