Sprinting to success

Blair Martin

Eva Brandenburg, sophomore, Peyton Berryman, senior, and Julia Gaskin, junior, line up for their hurdle race.

Running is often regarded as an individual sport, but that’s not the case for the girls track and field team. Though some of the girls have stellar personal and group achievements this season, the team dynamic and bond also make the team stand out.

Alyssa Fitzsimmons, senior distance runner, believes the team spirit is unmatched.

“The bonds on the team are so special. As a distance runner, I’ve gotten to know some of the sprinters better and have got even closer with other distance runners that I’ve known from cross country. I’m so happy I’ve made these friends; everyone works so hard to support each other,” Fitzsimmons said.

This season, the team is off to a fantastic start, winning two of their indoor meets and earning the title of runner-ups at the 2022 Wisconsin state indoor track & field championship.

Korynne Moga, junior sprinter and hurdler, is very pleased with the team’s performance.

“Indoor championships went well all around; a majority of us had made improvements from the previous indoor meets we had run in. From jumping more feet in the long jump pit to running a faster time, any improvement is amazing for each of us,” Moga said.

Moga was a part of the 4×200 relay team, which ended up breaking the indoor record.

“It was amazing to break the indoor 4×200 meter relay record for Homestead, especially considering we did not have an indoor season last year,” Moga said.

The success has continued as the outdoor season has progressed. This past week on May 4, the team competed in the NSC Relays at Whitefish Bay and took home second place overall. Event-wise, they won the 300-meter hurdle relay, the 100-meter hurdle relay, the 4×800 meter relay, triple jump and discus.

A few days later on May 7, they took part in the Myrhum Invite at Arrowhead and placed fourth out of 33 teams.

Individual accomplishments from the team include:
Peyton Berryman, senior, won the pole vault.
Ava Albrecht, sophomore, placed 4th in the discus.
Savannah Fraley, junior, placed 3rd in the 800-meter run.
Eva Brandenburg, sophomore, placed 2nd in the 300-meter hurdles.

Brandenburg was very content with both meets last week and also appreciates the team spirit.

“The two meets went pretty well for myself, and I would say the same for the team. [I love that] everyone cheers on each other, even if you don’t do that event. We all support each other during these meets,” Brandenburg said.

The team will continue to train hard for their upcoming meet, the Phoenix Girls Invite at Menomonee Falls on Tuesday, May 10. The JV team will run May 12 at the USM invite.