AI enters art department

Elsa

Sun streams through the windows of the art wing.

Art-generating Artificial Intelligence has been introduced into the Homestead art curriculum – bringing with it a long list of both benefits and controversies. As long as they can use a keyboard, anyone can use the AI software. In websites such as Midjourney and DALL-E, typing in a few words will create an endless amount of hyper-realistic images.
“[When] I discovered AI text to image generators last summer, it was only a beta version, but I was astounded at how simple it was to prompt compelling images,” Kat Hustedde, art teacher, said, describing her first encounter with AI software. When the 2022-23 school year rolled around, she decided to incorporate AI into her classes. “It’s important for students to be aware of new technological tools and how to use them ethically.”
The issue of how best to use AI “ethically” has caused widespread debate in the art world. Critics argue that using AI websites will lead to the “death of art” because it requires little human creativity. The algorithms of these softwares were created by scanning millions of images on the internet, including artwork put on the web by artists, who do not receive any compensation for contributing to the software.
Others claim that AI is just an innovative tool, likening it to Photoshop, and even the invention of photography. Nineteenth-century artists initially feared the change cameras would bring to the art industry; however, art still thrives today, with photography and art coexisting, each used for separate purposes.
Homestead students can use AI generators for brainstorming only. “Students complete an ‘ideation’ stage prior to making original artwork,” Hustedde said. “It can speed up the ideation process of current artists or inspire students in their creative journey. I view it as an alternative to finding images on Google or Pinterest to reference ideas from.”
The opinion of students reflects the bigger issue. “I think AI can be valuable,” Meredith Niedfeldt, sophomore art student, said. “But when I used it, I felt like I was stealing, even though I was only using it for brainstorming. It should definitely not be used over traditional and digital art.”
“Teaching students how to embrace new technology as an ideation tool, but also having those gray area conversations, is an important dialogue on the changing landscape of art,” Hustedde said. It seems like AI art is here to stay – and Homestead is trying to make the best of it.