Sophomore to compete at speed skating Junior World Cup

Raymond Lin
Brandon Liao, sophomore, competes at the US Short Track Speedskating National Age Group Championship in Milwaukee.

In November of 2023, Brandon Liao, sophomore, will represent Team USA as he travels to the Netherlands to compete in the Short Track Speed Skating Junior World Cup.

Liao is currently ranked sixth in the country for all junior speed skaters. As a nationally-ranked athlete, he follows an intense training schedule. “I train Tuesday to Sunday from around 6:15 to 7:00 AM for warm-up and train on ice from 7 to 8:45 a.m. On Tuesdays and Fridays, I have weight training after school,” Liao said, describing his routine. “Homestead has helped me change my class schedule to adapt to my training.”

Liao is no stranger to competition. Earlier this year, he earned second place in the National Age Group championships. He also has experience competing in other countries, though none on the massive scale of the Junior World Cup.

Liao hopes to add to the long list of Homestead’s athletic accomplishments and inspire students to have pride in their school. He plans to leave after Thanksgiving break, as the Cup extends into early December.

Liao reflects on the unique opportunity to travel across the world and showcase his passion. “The most exciting part for me is representing the US and also being able to compete with other athletes my age from different countries,” Liao said.