Oklahoma!: Vision and goals for upcoming musical

Izzy Harris
The cast of “Oklahoma!” rehearses a dance for the winter musical “Oklahoma!”

The winter musical is the “biggest production of the year,” Ryan Kramer, senior, said. This year the theater is putting on the musical production of “Oklahoma!”
The three months of hard work will be showcased February 1st-4th. From the cast, to crew, set designers, directors, sound and lighting and choreographers, everything becomes one harmonious song for the final shows.
“Oklahoma!” is widely considered “one of the first musicals to bring us into the golden age of musicals”, said Amelia Figg-Franzoi, musical director and choreographer. The passionate love story between a cowboy named Curly and the farm girl Laurey will have the audience on the edge of their seats with all of the twists, turns, surprises, and uproar that is caused on stage.
The excitement of the cast and crew does not go unnoticed either.
One of the main characters Curly, played by Ryan Kramer, senior, shared his love for singing. As he has “been in choir for seven years,” being able to sing while acting is something he is always excited for.
Although many have familiarity within the musical, the hours of hard work the cast and crew put in also entail learning new things.
“I didn’t even realize what plies were until the musical,” Aidan Bigonia, sophomore, said.
Progressing and learning while having fun is what the musical rehearsals embody.
Figg-Franzoi believes that one of the most important goals is seeing “the coming together of all the teenagers’ minds to help create a beautiful piece of art.”
With there being so many components to the musical, many goals of the cast include memorizing their lines; but also “connecting with everyone and knowing everyone,” Sayla Theirl, sophomore. said.
Each year new kids join the musical allowing for new faces, new experiences and the opportunity to meet new people.
One way in the musical people get to connect is through the songs and singing them together. Out of the 15 songs performed in the original musical “Oklahoma!”, “It’s and Scandal, its and outrage,” “The surrey with a fringe on top,” and “Kansas City” are some top favorites among the cast, but nothing tops “Oklahoma” and “the seven part harmony,”Bigonia said.