GEMS aims to teach girls importance of science

The+GEMS+club+members+get+ready+to+play+board+games+at+their+annual+game+night.+
Submitted Photo
The GEMS club members get ready to play board games at their annual game night.

The Girls Exploring Math and Science Club (GEMS) focuses on teaching teen girls about the importance of math and science. The club has speakers come in frequently to talk about the impact women have on STEM fields. The goal of making science fun is evident in the events the club hosts such as GEM-entines, boat races, and GEMSgiving.

“So far we’ve learned chemistry though creating slime, ecology with our GEMSgiving activities and physics with the science of sound waves,” Mia Tsuchihashi, senior and member of the GEMS leadership board, said.

These simple activities harbor curiosity in the girls, but also are a release from the pressures of school. The club members can bond over similar interests and can make science fun for each other.

“Something I enjoy about GEMS is getting to know different people and being in a space where everyone can share a common interest in STEM. It’s a very positive and fun experience,” Raima Naurin, junior, said.

Through their activities together, the club members have developed a bond that allows them to have serious and fun times with each other. These bonds have made deep friendships that translate into their everyday lives.

“All the girls in GEMS are kind, intelligent and supportive although there might be some slight rivalry from our game night,” Tsuchihashi said.

In addition to learning about various possibilities of STEM, the club works to teach younger girls about the importance of girls being in the field. They host middle school outreach nights to introduce younger girls to the club and get them excited about STEM.

“The most important part of GEMS is building a community with like-minded individuals to help us feel more comfortable in the world and overall show people they belong and fit in here,” Madeline Frank, senior and board member, said.

Teaching the younger girls the importance of women in STEM also helps bring them into the club when they get to high school. Many of the current members expressed that they joined GEMS because of the outreach nights and the community that was evident among the members.

“I joined GEMS because of one of the middle school outreach nights and I knew I wanted to be a part of the girls who made science fun,” Tsuchihashi said.