Going, going , global

Mackenzie Miller
Jeff Patterson presents his Europe poster welcoming students to sign up and join him on his adventure to Europe.

Nearly five years since COVID, school trips have been a rarity, but now two groups from Homestead will be jet-setting across the globe.

During spring break, world language teachers Senora Khmelevsky and Senora Rossman are going to embark on their trip to Costa Rica with 22 students from the Spanish Four courses.

Flying out of O’hHre airport on the 21st of March at 6:30 a.m., students will be embarking on their adventure of Costa Rica.

Senora Khemelvsky is particularly excited about the ziplining in the jungle. “I’ve never ziplined but I’ve always thought that ziplining in the rainforest would be amazing,” Khmelevsky said.

With so much to look forward to, Maya Tamin and Ava Lamb, juniors, shared what they are looking forward to the most. “I am most excited to be exploring Costa Rica and seeing different places with friends!” Tamin said.

“We are going scuba diving which will be very cool,” Lamb said.

Traveling by train, students will be visiting different landmarks such as El Rincón de la Vieja National Park, La Fortuna Waterfall, Sarapiqui River, and various hotels. With the whole trip being led by an expert tour guide, students will be partaking in a cultural exchange with the local “ Ticos” where they will have an opportunity to practice their Spanish speaking skills. After the trip, students will return not only with amazing memories of their adventure but also with knowledge gained from the Costa Rican culture.

Once summer rolls in, Jeff Patterson, physics and engineering teacher and Wolfgang Recht, math teacher, along with 25 students are venturing out to the continent of Europe to explore places such as Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland.

Leaving on the 17th of June, students will be returning on the 28th after visiting all of the countries.

Students from different grades will be able to attend and see the wonders of the continent of Europe. the group will be seeing Mt. Pilatus and the Löwendenkmal, also known as the Lion Monument which is dedicated to the Swiss guard men who died during the French Revolution.

Hal Muilenburg, sophomore, and her sister Hannah Muilenberg, junior. are especially to travel the world but also get to share this experience. “I have always wanted to travel the world, and I think life’s too short not to. This seemed like a great opportunity to see some amazing places with my friends and sibling. I also think that I would gain some good experience by getting out of the country, Hal said.

Her sister, Hannah, added, “I was invited to go by my grandparents so my sister won’t be alone, and I’m most excited to see St. Mark’s Basilica because I’ve only ever seen the Disney version at Epcot.”

Although both groups of students are traveling at different times and directions, all of them will come back home with a piece of new knowledge and appreciation for different countries and their cultures.