Offices face change as longtime assistants retire

Mackenzie Miller
Principal Eric Ebert poses with his secretary Nancy Kress.

Walking through the Highlander Walkway for the first time freshman year can be a daunting feeling typically overcome with the help of kind administrators and friendly people.

Among a flood of towering upperclassmen and a staunch desire to get to class on time, quiet freshmen hobble into the administrative office for directions around the busy hallways and attendance questions for the upcoming fall. To field the dozens of questions has been Administrative Assistant Linda Winters, who for the past 28 years aided parent calls, greeted late students and provided a welcoming smile all in the process.

However, the face of the Highlander Walkway is set to change as Winters plans her retirement for the upcoming school year to be with her family.
Not only has Winters has been a friendly face for the entire school body, watching countless students grow from freshmen to seniors and being there for teachers along the way, but also for Principal Eric Ebert.
“Linda performed many duties in the office over time, but none were more impactful than her role as school greeter. No matter who they were, staff, students, families, alumni, visitors, vendors, job seekers, and more, Linda was the first person to welcome everyone to Homestead for almost three decades. All of us experienced Linda’s cheerful disposition and red carpet treatment whenever we came into school and our days were always a little bit brighter as a result,” Ebert said.
From staff to student body alike, Winters curated a warm environment throughout the entirety of school. Whether it be late students, early leavers, or anyone passing by, an enthusiastic wave and smile hello is almost guaranteed from the attendance office.
Sanjana Vasireddy, junior, is no stranger to the warmth of the attendance office. As a rising senior, she has been able to experience the past three years of school with Winters as an Attendance Administrator.
“The attendance officers are so important to school because they facilitate the process of checking everyone in and out of school and manage every single students attendance. Mrs. Winters has always been there for me in that process,” Vasireddy said.
While ready for her departure, Winters is reflective on the past three decades in her position as the face of high school newcomers.
“My favorite part of my job has definitely been watching wonderful students come in as shy, quiet freshmen and grow into confident seniors. Even though this decision was really tough to make because I love everyone here, I am definitely excited to spend more time with my grandchildren and watch them grow – they are growing like weeds!” Winters said.

Administrative Assistant Linda Winters smiles while answering a parent call before winter break. (Rita Ferrero)

Another familiar face Homestead will miss next year is Nancy Kress, principal’s secretary, has been working at Homestead for 22 years and has decided to retire after to 2023-24 school year. As Principal Eric Ebert’ secretary, Kress holds the Homestead office together.

When students are having a rough day, she is quick to cheer them up with a smile and words of greeting. Kress ensures the gears of Homestead run smoothly and others have the ability to do their job. “Her knowledge of our systems and structures is second to absolutely no on in the building,” Kris Bessler, director of counseling, said.

Not only does Kress make the students feel welcome, she makes sure the teachers and staff know they are appreciated. “It will not be easy to fill the shoes she has created,” Bessler said.

With her time at Homestead, Kress has been considered as “being the glue that holds Homestead together,” Molly Navare, counselor, said. With her glowing smile and optimistic attitude, she never fails to make others smile.

In response to her years of dedication to the Homestead community, teachers and staff wrote appreciation letters to express their gratitude. Read their letters here.