Long-time teacher and football coach accepts new position

Mr. Fritz Rauch, English teacher and football coach, agreed to take a head coaching position at Grafton High School. Mr. Rauch has been at Homestead for 20 years. I feel like this is the right thing at the right time, both for me and my family, Mr. Rauch said.

Hannah O'Leary

Mr. Fritz Rauch, English teacher and football coach, agreed to take a head coaching position at Grafton High School. Mr. Rauch has been at Homestead for 20 years. “I feel like this is the right thing at the right time, both for me and my family,” Mr. Rauch said.

Hearing the call of the Black Hawk, Mr. Fritz Rauch, English teacher and defensive coordinator, has accepted the head football coaching position along with an English position at Grafton High School. The Grafton School Board approved Mr. Rauch’s contract on Jan. 12. Mr. Rauch will start off-season coaching work in February but will remain teaching at Homestead until June.

“After 20 years of a great experience at Homestead, I feel that this is the right thing at the right time, for both me and my family,” Mr. Rauch said. “Homestead is a place and community of excellence, and after learning how to strive for and achieve excellence, I look forward to bringing these same lessons to Grafton.”

Currently, the details of Mr. Rauch’s teaching position have not been finalized; however, he anticipates a similar assignment to his current Highlander day, which is filled with primarily freshman courses. “I haven’t taught a sophomore in 20 years, and while I have nothing against sophomores, now it is a quest to never teach a sophomore,” Mr. Rauch said.

However, in terms of the full Black Hawk staff, Mr. Rauch will bring a veteran hand. Mr. Rauch has “had a hand in some of the most significant organizational changes at Homestead in recent history including our transition to the trimester schedule,” Mr. Brett Bowers, principal, said. “I have been through these schedule changes and professional growth and look to help other staff members in what is a relatively young staff at Grafton,” Mr. Rauch said.

On the football field, Coach Rauch looks to alleviate the struggles of a Black Hawks team coming off of a 4-6 season, including a 3-4 division record, that placed them in fifth place in the North Shore Conference. “It’s certainly a community that is looking to win,” Coach Rauch said.

According to Mr. Rauch, the method to bring “long-term success,” results in the following priority list: “getting to know the kids both as humans and then football players, finding quality coaches who can become great teachers, educators and role models, meeting parents, and then working with the Gladiator youth program.” Specifically, Mr. Rauch wants to focus on coaches who can also teach in the classroom. “The health of a school must be in teachers who are great in their content area but who also have a passion for involving kids in extracurriculars.”

At Homestead, he will be missed. “The dedication to the preparation of the players on the defensive side of the ball is incredible and reflects the efforts of Coach Rauch,” Mr. Tom Fugate, social studies teacher and fellow defensive coach, said. “Mr. Rauch has been a powerful force for good here at Homestead. I have nothing but respect for him,” Mr. Bowers said.

Overall, the move will bring a fresh start for Mr. Rauch. “The great thing about this business is the chance to make an impact on kids’ lives, and I anticipate doing exactly that at Grafton.”