Don’t knock the Crocs

My teammates and I color coordinated our Crocs to match our team colors for game days.

Crocs. The word brings mixed reactions, mostly of disgust and repulsion, in our admittedly very trendy and fashionable community. But for those of us who truly value the effortless utility and comfort of a shoe, Crocs have become a staple in our wardrobes.

Invented in 2002 as a boating shoe, Crocs took the world by storm, especially appealing to kids with their bright colors. After the craze died down several years later, the only people sporting the shoes were loyal fans who swear by their comfort.

As the fans, we are not exaggerating. The experience when I first slid on a Croc was almost spiritual. I felt like I was walking with actual pillows strapped to my feet, and I could feel my high arches sighing in relief and saying a prayer of thanks to the almighty creator of these glorious shoes.

IMG_4733 (1)
To make Crocs and groutfits even more cute than they are on their own, we combined them for the ultimate game day outfit.

I proudly wore them to school that week, frolicking in cloudlike footfalls while soaking up the looks of admiration and disgust, as well as deflecting questions of “Are you seriously wearing Crocs right now?” by assuring myself of everyone’s jealousy. I was very surprised, however, with the number of compliments I received on my Crocs.

It could have been the way they coordinated with the blue of my Lakeshore Lightning sweatpants or the Map and the Donald Duck Jibbitz poking out of the tops, but needless to say they were making a statement.

After losing my Birkenstocks at the rink during a weekend of games back in October, I needed another pair of shoes that were as comfortable to wear before and after games. I decided to hop on the bandwagon of the rest of my hockey team and buy Crocs. From the first time putting them on, I have not looked back.

Looking around at that same team during warmups, I realized that almost every girl was sporting a pair of the clogs, in sport mode of course. And it got me thinking, why is it that while most of the rest of society shuns the shoes, we seem to embrace the 2000s trend with absolutely no shame?

I think the answer lies in the last part of the question: no shame. As hockey players, like most athletes, we have been through it all together. Gross hockey hair, sweat, questionable locker rooms in seedy rinks, ugly warmup pants and a serious lack of effort in wearing something decent before or after practice.

“I don’t get why people hate on Crocs. They are the peanut butter to my jelly,” Lindsey Schimpf, freshman and Croc enthusiast, said.

When you have three games within 24 hours, comfort definitely is a top priority, and there does not exist a more comfortable shoe than Crocs to wear with sweatpants all day at the rink. Along with comfort, they also go swimmingly with our team warmups, and are an essential piece of the effortless athletic look we pull off on the daily.

So why do hockey girls at Homestead wear Crocs despite them seeming to repel other people? Well, a) we do not care what other people think, b) they are comfy, and c) I guess it has become part of the girls hockey lifestyle. In my eyes, those are good enough reasons for anybody to wear Crocs.

“Crocs make my life complete. A life without Crocs is not a life worth living,” Schimpf said.

Popular with many professionals like nurses, veterinarians and cooks, and others that must stand or walk around all day, Crocs are perfect for people who need a lightweight, comfortable shoe to wear during a long shift. Or, for high school and college students who have to walk across campus to get to their next class. They have built-in ventilation, odor and bacteria-resistant material (convenient after spending two hours in skates), can be hosed off and come in fun colors with all the Jibbitz one could imagine.

The Homestead Lightning players show off their Crocs, a staple in our game day outfits.

“Crocs are awesome because they are super cute (no matter what the haters say), comfy, and you can decorate them with any Jibbitz you want,” Alex Burns, senior and Croc enthusiast, said. “So if you’re feeling sporty one day you can put in your soccer ball Jibbit. Or if you want to flaunt your love for Blue’s Clues you can put in that Jibbit. It’s like wearing emojis on your feet; it’s sweet.”

So whether you like it or not, Crocs are making a comeback. You can ridicule me all you want and tell me how ugly they are; I simply will not care. I have heard it all, but I will defend the #CrocNation till the day I die.