Filed under Opinion

Review: On the Way Cafe

The menus can be found at the front counter, as the main signs have yet to be finished.

Just over a month ago, Mequon’s newest organic eatery opened up: On the Way Cafe. After hearing the buzz about it for so long, I decided to check it out for myself.

Upon opening the door, I was quickly encapsulated by the herbal aroma. The scent drew me towards the front where I searched for a menu. As the cafe is relatively new, the big signs above the cashier don’t have the menu printed out on it yet. The friendly cashier directed me towards the counter just below my eyes on which all of the options were conveniently splayed out.

With so much to choose from, I had no idea what to pick. I was torn between a few of the options, but ultimately, I went with my go-to: a strawberry banana smoothie. The “Tropic Breeze” smoothie includes strawberry, banana and coconut milk and is mixed to perfection.

When I placed my order and heard the cashier say, “Your total is $6.34,” my heart sunk; spending money makes me extremely nervous and I immediately questioned my decision to purchase such an expensive smoothie.

During the prolonged wait to see if this drink was worth my hard-earned money, I wandered through the surprisingly spacious cafe. In the corner lies a market of sorts, complete with loose tea, vitamins, lotions and much more. Next to this are fridges filled with pre-made food and drinks if you are indeed getting food “on the way” rather than sitting down. Both of these aspects are very convenient and practical.

Each and every table is topped with beautiful flowers, welcoming every customer to enjoy their visit. The rustic-chic furniture exudes a natural aura that perfectly complements the organic nature of the cafe. Just as I was sitting down at the friendly community table, I heard my name called out from the coun

ter: my smoothie was ready.

As I stuck my straw through the lid, the fruity goodness bubbled out of the perfectly filled cup, beckoning me to drink it. It was so good I wanted to savor every sip, but I couldn’t quite find the ability to remove the straw from my mouth. It was the perfect balance between sweet and tart. It wasn’t too thick, but by no means was it too watery. As Goldilocks would say, “it was just right.”

Although it was a tad pricey, I was very content with my purchase. Truth be told, I think it’s among the best smoothies I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. And, given the fact that organic food typically comes at a higher cost, the price is actually fairly reasonable.

Overall, On The Way Cafe is the perfect spot to serve any of your healthy food cravings, so long as you are willing to spend the extra dollar.