Suiting up for State

Ski+teams+State+qualifiers+gather+together.+

Submitted photo

Ski team’s State qualifiers gather together.

Homestead’s ski team is back at it again, making their trip to Mt. La Crosse for State. Six boys, one girl and one alternate from Homestead qualified for the meet on February 17 and 18.

Many of Homestead’s skiers have been hitting the slopes since they learned how to walk, skiing having a big impact on their lives. Their passion for skiing has bonded the whole team together, calling themselves ‘Homeshredders’.

“We have the most fun, even if it’s icy, sub zero, and a long night,” Cate Heilmann, senior, said.

At State all skiers will participate in three types of races: Slalom, giant slalom (GS) and Super G. While Slalom is an agility course, GS and super G, are the most similar to a real downhill race.

“You go as fast as cars on the highway, and it feels amazing,” Heilmann said.

Before the race begins, skiers evaluate the course to know how to handle the twists and turns of the slope. Some competitors have their own routine to get ready for their race. Heilmann makes sure to eat a candy bar and wear her silver ‘neckie’ before each race.

“I layer up with fleece leggings and extra warm socks, since my race suit and ski boots aren’t very insulated,” Heilmann said.

Willy Doerr, freshman, likes to concentrate and not eat a lot before a race. This is Doerr’s his first year shredding the slopes at State. His favorite part about ski team is getting to spend time with his friends while doing the sport he loves.

“I’m excited to hang with my teammates and get close to them on our trip,” Doerr said.

This is Alec Herring’s fourth year going to State. He qualified individually for State his sophomore and junior year, and qualified with his team this year and freshman year. Herring is hoping to place in the top ten for State and qualify for Nationals.

“The last time I went as a team was freshman year and it was the most fun I’ve ever had so I’m glad I get to end my high school skiing career going to state as a team,” Herring said.

Waxing and sharpening their skis, Homestead is equipped for the race ahead.