Remembering who is behind the mask

Halloween+is+a+time+for+individuals+to+dress+up+and+become+someone+else+for+one+night.++This+person+they+become+doesnt+always+make+the+best+decisions.++There+are+people+who+I+have+grown+up+with+who+I+have+seen+change%2C+especially+during+Halloween%2C+who+do+things+I+know+they+wouldve+never+done+when+they+were+younger%2C+Sophia+Sullivan%2C+sophomore%2C+said.+

Sydney Crivello

Halloween is a time for individuals to dress up and become someone else for one night. This “person” they become doesn’t always make the best decisions. “There are people who I have grown up with who I have seen change, especially during Halloween, who do things I know they would’ve never done when they were younger,” Sophia Sullivan, sophomore, said.

Halloween provides individuals with an opportunity to be someone else for a night, though the person they “become” isn’t always worthy of emulation. “I think there is a loss of innocence seen in high schoolers through costumes around Halloween,” Brigid West, sophomore, said.

According to Louella Torrence, owner of Drop Me A Line Costume Shop, “Costumes for little girls have turned into more risque outfits.”  She has seen a pattern of more revealing outfits in costume shops recently, particularly within the past year.

This trend is apparent even throughout the halls of Homestead High School.  According to  a survey of 100 Homestead females, 36 percent said it was their intent to dress in an inappropriate costume on Halloween night.

This night is also developing a reputation of being unsafe, as well as tasteless.  Individuals can find themselves in compromising situations involving illegal substances if they are not careful.  “There are people in my grade, and around the whole school, who do things on that night that at any other time of the year they would be ashamed of doing,” Jacob Bartscher, junior, said.  “They aren’t thinking clearly.”

It is apparent that during this time of year, individuals believe that because they are physically masked, ramifications of their actions will not follow them.  “People in my grade think that just because they are in costume, they are able to get away with anything and don’t need to worry about consequences,” Ansley Laev, sophomore, said.

Just because they are in costume, they think they are able to get away with anything and don’t need to worry about consequences

— Ansley Laev

This mindset leads to problems that many individuals will be forced to confront.  In some circumstances, they can be quite long term as well.  Is one night of fun worth it?

According to Beth Mosher of the Automobile Association of America, when Halloween falls on weekends it is far more dangerous than when it falls on a weekday.   “We see a sharp rise in the number of motor vehicle fatalities on Halloween when it is on a weekend,” Mosher said.  This results from poor decisions made by individuals, especially driving while under the influence.

Some schools have enacted restrictions on the types of costumes that students can wear to class, in part hoping fewer young people will wear the “edgy” outfits, both during the day and at night.  Employers have also begun reminding employees that “tasteful” does not have to mean “boring.”  In addition, subtle reminders from parents, teachers, bosses and friends that everyday life returns the day after Halloween may help in curbing some of the poorer choices.

Wearing costumes and engaging in some harmless make-believe is a lure felt by people of all ages, and can be the source of many great memories.  However, taking that enjoyment and transforming it into troubling, illegal actions can darken an entire holiday and beyond.