Homestead’s curling team falls short at state

Homestead%E2%80%99s+curling+team+consists+of+Skip+%28captain%29%3A+Noah+Lookatch%2C+senior%2C+Vice-skip%3A+Blake+Anderson%2C+senior%2C+Second%3A+Thomas+Lamers%2C+sophomore%2C+and+Lead%3A+Trevor+Cho%2C+senior.+

Homestead’s curling team consists of Skip (captain): Noah Lookatch, senior, Vice-skip: Blake Anderson, senior, Second: Thomas Lamers, sophomore, and Lead: Trevor Cho, senior.

One of the most powerful things about sports- the reason people watch religiously- is the sportsmanship and persistence a team or player reveals. The four members of Homestead’s curling team persisted their way to Wausau for the Wisconsin High School Curling Championships on Feb 20.

Homestead’s team played together as a productive unit, but did not make the semi-finals, according to Noah Lookatch, senior and team captain.  The team lost 5-0.

Filling the arena, 36 boys and girls teams from 16 schools competed at the curling center. “It’s an honor getting to compete at the state championship. Noah and I have had some great tournaments together over the past decade but this is by far considered a dream come true for both of us and our teammates,” Blake Anderson, senior, said.

New to the sport, Trevor Cho, senior, reflects on his excitement for the team qualifying for state. “I originally chose to be on the team when I saw it in the Olympics last year and it seemed like a lot of fun, so when I joined the curling club and when they asked me to play in the state tournament I was pumped,” Cho said.

With honor, this years team was Homestead’s first curling team to continue to the state tournament. “I immediately loved the sport and was excited to be able to be apart of the state tournament. I have had some great experiences so far on the ice,” Tommy Lamers, sophomore, said.

Despite its recent loss, the team continues to practice every week for upcoming curling tournaments, also known as a bonspiels. Lookatch later said, “Curling is a social sport that puts emphasis on sportsmanship. It is a lifelong sport and it helps build friendships.”