Swim and dive team excels at conference relays

Submitted Photo

The Homestead swim team participated in warm-ups at the Brookfield Central Invite on Sat., Sept. 12.

The girls varsity swim and dive team took on the rest of the Northshore conference on Tues., Sept. 15 at Grafton High School in the conference relays meet.

The meet started with the diving competition, in which the lady Highlanders took first with a score of 387.15.

Sami Nickerson, sophomore, and Brooke Howell, senior, combined their two individual scores to come out with the first place win for diving. “The meet went great last night; Brooke and I dove the best we could and our hard work paid off. It always feels good to win, since it means you’re actually doing something right,” Nickerson said.

Although this meet has events that are usually not swimming-related or that are not in any other meets, the Highlanders relay teams were able to finish second behind Cedarburg. The lady Highlanders, consisting of Leah Tunney, freshman, Caitlyn Lansing, sophomore, Talia Gottlieb, junior, and Lindsey Bjornstad, sophomore, took first place in the 200 medley relay. 

“I love conference relays because they’re so different from all of the other meets. We really have to work together to accomplish our goals, and that’s what we did,” Bjornstad said.

The team has been looking promising even with the current coaching situation. Head coach Chris Fox has recently taken a job with the Brookfield Police Department and is going through training. Although this has kept him from being at every practice, he is still able to make some meets.

“The team did outstanding; the girls have been working hard and it paid off. It is exciting to see where we will be at the end of October,” coach Fox said. With coach Fox being gone a lot, the junior varsity coach Victoria Bunchek has stepped up in his absence. 

This meet will serve as a starting block for the Highlanders in the rankings for conference. “The team did a great job working together on each event,” Bridget Woody, senior, said.

Bridget Woody, senior, takes a break on the side of the pool at the meet last night.
Virginia Lee
Bridget Woody, senior, takes a break on the side of the pool during Tuesday’s meet.